Saturday, October 25, 2008

Announcing Hugh William Saylor!


Well, it wasn't a false alarm on Thursday, October 23rd. Our son (yes - it was a boy) was born at 11:47PM on Thursday, October 23rd. He was determined to share his birthday with his Aunt Cindy (my sister) and it happened for him! He weighed 7lbs. 10oz. and was 19in. long. We are so excited!



As some of you have read in our blog, Jake and I were all about our birth plan...we had thought about everything and were ready for this birth. Well, as Jake said during the labor, our birth plan got "thrown out the window". I started having contractions on Thursday around 4:30AM and we headed to the hospital around 4:00PM, when the contractions were around four to five minutes apart. We checked in...only to find out I was only three centimeters dilated. They encouraged me to walk around, which we did for about an hour. Well, the walking helped and got us admitted. We walked around some more to continue to try and progress the labor...I now know walking really progresses my labor! Once we got to our room, I was six centimeters dilated. Everything was going great - our nurse was getting us checked in and then the Baby's heart rate dropped very low (below 50) and we had every nurse in our room...oxygen mask was on, IV was in, and they set-up the internal heart rate to monitor the Baby (which broke my water)...like Jake said, "birth plan thrown out the window". I was losing consciousness, so I didn't care about the birth plan at that moment, but all I remember is Jake asking the doctor, "Are you sure this is necessary?" and the response being, "Yes, we only do what is necessary." He really tried to keep the birth plan in place. The labor went very quickly, but the pushing lasted a while (two hours). Luckily, Jake was such an amazing coach and both our mothers were very supportive. We had a great team of doctors and nurses - praise God! We were thinking it was most likely going to end in an emergency C-Section, since Hugh's heart rate continued to drop throughout the labor, but God brought our son to us in His timing and the timing was perfect and Hugh is perfect. We are so blessed! I was a little out of it during the labor (pure exhaustion), but looking back - it was God protecting me and not allowing me to panic. Again, we praise God for our son!

We are home now - got home this afternoon and we are ready to begin this crazy journey. I am in a little pain (used so many muscles I never knew I had), but overall, things are good. Learning lots already about feeding, etc...oh, the joys. We thank you all for your prayers! We love this amazing little boy!

9 comments:

AprilJ said...

Congrats!! (again.. I seem like a crazy web stalker but we're earlier time up here!). We're so thankful Hugh is here safe and sound and that things went well for you. Considering our time differences, you can call during those late-night feedings if you want someone to talk to. We love you guys and that baby boy is beautiful. Enjoy these early days, time really flies once babies enter the picture.

Theresa said...

He is beautiful! I can't wait to see him in person! :) Congratulations!

Mandy Kershaw said...

What a cutie! Congratulations!

Kiki Hantla said...

Praise God! We can't wait to meet him.

Jason and Lisa said...

Congratulations. He is absolutely beautiful.

Pam said...

Congrats!! It is amazing how labor turns out much different than we "plan." Praise God for your precious new boy.

Jeremy and Mindy said...

I am so happy and excited for you! He is so cute!

Amberlee said...

I am so excited and happy for you both...nothing ever goes how we plan, but praise God His plans are perfect and always perfectly timed. Cannot wait to meet him!

The Noland Family said...

OKay so I want to know what your 12 hours of laboring at home consisted of.