Thursday, November 13, 2008

Three Weeks Old and Growing...


I cannot believe Hugh is already three weeks old...time flies by so fast. You don't think time flies when you are up night after night, but it truly does. Soon, he'll be crawling, walking, talking back (he better not)...but for now, he is still figuring out breastfeeding and sleeping. We love him so much and want to treasure these moments with him.


Well, what has the third week brought us? It brought a mental breakdown for me, but God's grace brought me thru it (Ps. 18:2 "...my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge..."). Let's just say that breastfeeding has been a bit of a struggle, but we are battling thru it together and it has been our project this week. Hugh decided the crib is overrated and doesn't like to sleep in it (I cursed myself last week by putting in my blog that he was sleeping in his crib). We are going to work on crib sleeping next week...one project at a time. He decided he hates his car seat...screams like a dying kitty (you actually have to laugh at times because it really sounds like a dying kitty). However, we are going to see if adjusting the shoulder straps will help. He still is very unsure of the swing (the picture below is staged), but sometimes he'll sleep in there if I put him in there already sleeping. He has decided he loves being held (all the time) and loves sleeping on my chest...for all of you who are thinking, "don't create those bad habits"...trust me, I know, but you do what you need to do...one project at a time. We are getting him a new swaddle blanket, which will hopefully trap his arms and he won't overheat. So, overall...we are learning lots together. I am in the house all day, which is taking some time to get used to, but this is where we are at in our lives. To women with multiple children (especially those who have them very close together)...wow, you all are my heroes.


Thanks to my wonderful husband for dealing with my craziness and tears - he is so patient and loving. Thanks to my amazing family for supporting me in my craziness...we are very blessed. We look forward to week four...one month old!

(I forgot to give his stats last week - 21in. and 7lbs. 14oz. - getting so big!)

10 comments:

Audrey said...

Jen,
Congratulations, your son is just beautiful. All your feelings are completely normal:) Maile was happiest asleep on one of us too...and I'm glad I had the time at home with her for that. Enjoy every milestone:)

Peace,
Audrey

N and M said...

Hi! Jen, we've never met but I met Jake (and his brothers) when I was NAU.

I have a 17 month old and I can tell you it just flies by. Now that she is bigger and won't let me hold her much, I long for the days when she used to just sleep on my chest. Don't worry about getting into bad habits. Do what you need to do and hold him as much as he'll let you. Oh and keep blogging. I still haven't gotten to her baby book, but I do have her blog. That'll do.

Hugh is beautiful and I wish you guys the best. Congrats!

Niki Stewart Eggert

Jason and Lisa said...

Hang in there. BF does have its challenges. Both you and him are learning something new.

He is such a handsome little fellow.

Amy said...

Oh Jenn, you are NOT alone. All the women who you know that have children have gone through exactly what you are explaining. Praise God that you are relying on His word for strength and encouragement and He will bring you through this. Btw, slushies are $.99 at Sonic right now so that should be exciting! :)When you stay at home all day, it's the little things that can be really exciting!:)

Ben and Melissa James said...

Jenn- I'll be the first to tell you that it does not matter where they sleep as long as they sleep. Charis spent 6 months sleeping every night in her car seat and Emma spent 6 months sleeping every night in my arms in my bed. You can tackle the bed training after everything else. It also helped me to just sit outside or go for a walk. It might seem like a lot to get out of the house but you could try to bundle Hugh up and just walk around the block once. It will really help to get fresh air and move around a bit. I'll be praying for you!

AprilJ said...

I can't believe he's 3 weeks old either! What a cutie he is. You're doing great, momma. All of us with kiddos has walked this road. Love you!

mcmomE3 said...

Thank you for your support to me, Jenn. Sometimes my pregnancy weight gain makes me feel bad, even though it shouldnt. Hugh is getting so big. I cant wait to see that little cutie pie again when we see you at Thanksgiving!

Brandie said...

Jenn!
Nursing can be so hard. I had extensive issues with Ella and I cried so many tears (but I made it!). With Abby, things went so much smoother (I knew a lot more). If you haven't tried the Breastfriend Pillow - try it. It saved my life with Abby, I went everywhere with it for 3 months - everywhere. If you want to chat about specifics, please feel free to call/email! Small changes can make a HUGE difference. Hang in there.

Brandie
graybrandie@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn,

You are soooooo not alone on any of the things you are feeling. Just remind yourself, God chose YOU to be Hugh's mom. What an honor! Do what you feel is best for your family. You can kick the bad habits later...

By the way....not kidding, lets start planning Hugh and Jaye's wedding now :)

Hi Jake!

Miss you guys!
Jen McCurdy

Jeremy and Mindy said...

Jen- You sound like you are being too hard on yourself. You are a great mom and he looks wonderful!

I can't relate to you (though I wish I could) because I don't have any little ones yet, but I know that my sister had a really rough start with the breastfeeding too. She ended up having to have a wet nurse come to the house a few times.

And he is almost 8 lbs now! He will be graduating out of the newborn clothes soon. Another Milestone!

I am glad you have the support of so many mothers here. Call if you ever need anything!

Love you!
Mindy