Saturday, December 13, 2008

Always Working...

Hugh is seven weeks already! I cannot believe it. I know I state that every week, but I really cannot believe how quickly the time is flying by. We absolutely love our baby boy...he is so cute! We are so excited to celebrate his first Christmas in a couple weeks...I also cannot believe Christmas is less than two weeks away and we haven't started our Christmas shopping!

So, what has happened in the last week? Well, we are still struggling with breastfeeding...so, I started using a shield to see if it will help (I know, I know...the La Leche League would hunt me down, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do). I figure if it helps, then we can work on breaking him of the shield next week...I know, doesn't make a lot of sense, but that is the logic I am running with right now. We are still giving him bottles (again, the La Leche League can hunt me down), but it works for us. I have decided this week that if he ends up on bottles and formula, he will survive and I will still be a good mom...it took me some time to realize this, but I got there. The 3AM party ended this week...that was good. I decided watching TV in the middle of the night works for me, but doesn't work for Hugh...he gets too stimulated. Who would have thought that Cold Case or Without a Trace would be Hugh's favorite shows...well, I'll miss my special time with TNT in the middle of the night, but sleep is much more important. Hugh got to meet all of my work friends and see where I work - he did great (however, I don't see accounting or insurance in his future...paging Dr. Saylor). He also started eating at restaurants (well, he didn't start eating, but I am able to eat and he will stay in his car seat), which is very nice. So, does he like his car seat? Well, not 100%...but we did go to Tucson this past weekend to see his Papa retire from the military after 29 years of service (Yeah Papa!)...and he only cried for 25 minutes and he was in the car seat for over five hours. So, I think we are really turning a corner with the car seat - praise God! Hugh also got to meet some very dear friends of our family in Tucson - he met his great grandfather's (who he is named after) best friend and it meant the world to her. It was great to see the Wilkies and have them meet Hugh! Lastly, we enjoyed a night out with him at a concert in a park last night that our church put on - it was a lot of fun and he did great! I have also realized how incredibly patient Hugh will be with me...letting me clean or cook or shower or get ready...he is so sweet! He is cooing (or squawking) more and I really feel like consistent smiles are right around the corner.

Thanks to everyone for your continued prayers and love for our little family. We are so blessed by having so many people that love us. Jake and I love being parents to our little Hugh Baby - we have so much fun loving him and laughing together...parenting can be so funny at times. Hugh and I started reading in Luke this week to prepare for Christmas and we are reminded of the incredible gift we have been given as we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. "He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High." Luke 1:32 We are so excited for this season!



(Our camera ran out of batteries this week...so, sorry for the lack of pictures.)

11 comments:

Audrey Hunsdon Call said...

good for you for coming to those conclusions jen:)

AprilJ said...

I used the shield thing with both of my kids and they and I survived... take THAT, boob-nazis :)

We miss you guys.

Amy said...

Yah, I second what April said...forget all the people that seem to have the right boobs. Shields, bottles, pacis, whatever works I always say. Hey, I don't even care that the Ped. would scold me for Tyson having a bottle and paci at age 2. Yep, it is true. oh well! Come and get me you nazis!

Brooke said...

The nazis, the ped's, the books, the websites. So much information and still so much confusion. As you said, praise God for his grace! And thank goodness the LaLeche League doesn't have spies. (If I disappear someday you know where to start asking questions) ;-)

Jason and Lisa said...

So true! You definitely have to do what works for YOU not the La Leche League! The important thing is that Hugh is getting his food (however, you decide to feed him) and that you aren't stressing.

Melissa said...

Well I think the person who took those pictures is an AWESOME photographer!!

Jeremy and Mindy said...

Wow- Reading your blog has really opened my eyes to a hold side of motherhood that I did not know existed. I am very curious to discover what in the world a boob shield is and what could be sooo bad about it!

I think that you have to do what works for you. My mom was unable to nurse and had to make the hard decision to switch to formula too.

Have a great week!

P.S. I think you should just double up on presents next year. Shopping is sooo bad right now. I thought I was going to get mauled in Costco this weekend.

mcmomE3 said...

Thank you for your comment on my page. Did you ever get a cold when you were pregnant with Hugh? I dont know if I should call the doctor tomorrow? I dont know if there is an anti-biotic that they can give me, just thought I would ask to see if you know from your experience in being pregnant.

The Martins said...

I heart bottles. I mean, I really, really LOVE bottles. I want to shout it from the roof tops- I LOVE BOTTLES!!!

The Martins said...

And having had a november baby I clearly remember the whole Christmas present dilemma. I say gift cards from safeway all around! Hooray!

Alexis Myers said...

Nursed Sam for 6 weeks and went to the hospital...bottles bottles bottles...he is a strong jedi master!