Saturday, December 27, 2008

Merry Christmas!


Merry Christmas! We are very excited to celebrate the birth of Christ this season as we celebrate our first Christmas with Hugh! We cannot believe nine weeks has passed since Hugh entered the world. He has been the best Christmas gift this season...by far! Except, Jake did get me my "mommy gift" (because I pushed Hugh (very hard) for two hours before he was born) and it is super nice...but still not better than being parents this Christmas!


Well, week nine brought us more new things (I guess every week will bring new things when you are only nine weeks old). He got to meet his Aunt Cindy and Uncle Daniel...very exciting for him; and he also got to meet my aunt, uncle, and cousins from California...more excitement for him. It also brought us to the pediatrician's office...Hugh was running a low fever and I called to see if we could give him Tylenol. So, the nurse said he was too little and we needed to bring him in...so, two hours in the car and $20 later...the doctor told us what we already knew...we could give him Tylenol. However, I did learn that he weighs almost 12 pounds...he is getting to be a big boy! We (mainly me) also decided to stop breastfeeding this week...I woke up on Monday and decided that it didn't make sense any longer. He takes a bottle the same way he breastfeeds and I decided that if any nipple is going to get that kind of damage...better the bottle than me. So, I put away my old "brest friend" (my nursing pillow) and picked up my new "brest friend" (my pump) - I am pumping five times a day and we are supplementing with formula. I figured out that I have to pump 4,500 ounces of milk to give him 50% breast milk for his first year...as Jake reminds me, take it one day at a time - and yes, I am a numbers person and I had to figure it out. We'll see how it goes, but I am taking it one day at a time - we had a good friend (thank you, Amy) get us some formula...so, that has been very nice since it is so expensive! He is also smiling a lot, but I cannot get any pictures (I need a better camera)...so, hopefully, I'll get one soon! We are still trying to figure out the bottle feeding...it takes him 45 minutes to an hour to drink six ounces of milk...he gets so bored with eating. We are trying lots of different methods to make the process a little more efficient! We have also realized that our son is the king of cat naps - one minute he is playing and the next he is sleeping...which only lasts about 10 minutes - it is very funny! He is doing good with his night sleeping...normally, he lasts for a seven hour stretch, but I have to normally get up after about five and a half hours to put his pacifier in or hold him. I haven't been able to let him "cry it out" just yet...still too little for me.



He had a wonderful first Christmas...spending time with lots of family and we had our first overnight with him at my parent's house. He did great, which was a huge blessing. We read through Luke with him on Christmas morning so we can always instill in him the true meaning on Christmas - Jesus Christ. We are so fortunate to have so many people that love us and Hugh made out with a lot of loot (toys, books, clothes, etc.)...I am sure it is just the beginning of the "stuff" madness. It was fun having a little one this Christmas - what an amazing gift and an incredible answer to prayer. We look back at this time last year and we were in a very different place - we praise God for where we are at today. We hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! We love you all!


6 comments:

Audrey Hunsdon Call said...

he is so adorable jen. good for you not letting him cry it out. for what it's worth, none of my kids ever "cried" it out. i used that time to form great attachments knowing that you only have so long to cuddle:) they are amazing sleeprs now and truly.. you can NEVER hold them too much:)

Amy said...

More on the crying it out in a face to face conversation...but, he is so cute and growing so fast. You didn't mention what your mommy gift was...maybe another face to face convo? :)

Jen said...

Yes, I want to know what your mommy gift was too! :)

I love the santa outfit, he is too cute!!!

Filleman Family said...

I'm mad that you didn't get grief from my sister for him "laying on a pillow" like I did on my blog when I took a picture of Grayson on a pillow. No discrimination on the advice Melissa :)

Jenn Saylor said...

Melissa - why are you hating on the pillow? Our doctor told us to lay him on a pillow for his congestion. There is nothing wrong with the pillow.

Brooke said...

Hi Jenn! Good for you for making feeding work for YOU. :-) We are making adjustments at our house too. Love the Santa Baby!

And Luca is a pillow baby too...;-)