Saturday, January 3, 2009

Battle of the Bottle


So...our little boy is ten weeks old now! We absolutely love having him with us. He is so sweet and we are so lucky to be his parents. God has entrusted us with a wonderful gift and we treasure having him everyday (I wish I could say we treasure every second of everyday, but...sometimes I can have a bad attitude - I am working on it.). I love his sweet smiles and how he talks to us...he has a lot to say. I love it when he cuddles and when he naps with me (yes, he still sleeps on me for his naps...not all of his naps, but some of them and you know what...I am okay with it and I love it). I love being Hugh's momma and Jake loves being Hugh's daddy.


What has week ten brought us? Well, it brought the battle of the bottle. Hugh does not love taking the bottle...we have decided that he would prefer another way to eat so he can still play. He acts like eating is a waste of his time...so, we are working on it and I am sure creating more bad habits since we let him have "play breaks" during the feeding times...whatever works and he eventually finishes the bottle. So, of course we had to try a million bottles (Avent, Dr. Brown, Soothie, Breastflow, etc.) because the issue couldn't be with him...it had to be the bottle. Well, like I said before the issue is with Hugh and not the bottle; however, we did have a winner on the bottle...Dr. Brown! Of course, it is the most expensive bottle, the one that leaks, and the hardest one to clean. I really thought the Soothie bottle would be a hit since he loves the Soothie pacifier now...I was wrong. Anyway, we are working through it and will survive. He has started sleeping more at night...normally goes down by 11PM and gets up around 7AM (it isn't every night, but it has been about 90% of the time the last two weeks). So, we are enjoying more restful sleep at night - I am convinced that the sleeping during the night is dependent upon how many ounces he gets during the day...yes, I am an Ounce Nazi...counting them like crazy. He is turning into a little chunky monkey - fat and happy. He is also getting better about his warm milk - drinking it cold is absolutely out of the question, but lukewarm and he will tolerate it. I am still pumping five times a day and I have to talk myself into turning on the pump every time (Jake laughs at me...it is quite funny), but it isn't too bad; however, the pump goes everywhere with me...don't want to get lost somewhere and not have my pump (it could be ugly). He is starting to lose his hair in the back (similar to where Jake started to lose his...sorry, I couldn't resist) and I make fun of his clown hair. He loves taking walks in the stroller and he has given up the fight in the car seat and actually sleeps in it. Praise God - He is so faithful. Lastly, he loved spending time with all his family and had a great time at Uncle Troy's b-day dinner.


The last couple weeks Jake has been home more and we have been loving it. It is so nice to have him home and I love watching him with Hugh. He is so helpful and is willing to do anything. Hugh has so many smiles for him and loves being with Daddy. Hugh's favorite time is bath time with Daddy - he can be fussy, hungry, or tired and once he is in the tub with Jake...it is all smiles - I love it. Thank you, Jake, for being a wonderful husband and father - God has blessed me so much!


(For my brother-in-law - Benjamin Button was awesome...one of the better movies we have seen in a long time. It is long, but we thought it was well worth it. Thanks to Gramma and Papa for watching Hugh.)



8 comments:

Brooke said...

Hey Jenn, I may have a tip for the Dr. Brown's: It seems to me that when the milk changes temp (in either direction) it messes with the seal. After heating Luca's up I open it and re-tighten it and also sometimes re-tighten it during her feeding. Even with that though, Luca's bib occasionally gets soaked. And yes, they are a pain to clean! My solution was to buy enough bottles for one days feedings. Then I just wash/sanitize them all at once during Miss Bean's nap.

Did you bawl through "Benjamin Button"? I did! I am a total sap since becoming a Mommy. ;-)

Love these Hugh updates!

Mandy Kershaw said...

James slept just about every nap on me for at least the first 6 months and he turned out just fine. In fact, he still loves to cuddle which I LOVE.

DeeBoyzMomma said...

Okay, so I think that I'm caught up on your blogging. It's been awhile. SO great to be able to read what's been going on. Hugh is so adorable and getting so big. It definitely goes by quickly. Sounds like things are going well and lots of milestones are being reached every day. Thank goodness for the sleeping 7 hours!

Also, I did see the Benjamin Button movie too (1st non-children's movie I've seen in probably a year) and loved it.

Will do better keeping updated. Hope to see you guys soon.

DeeBoyzMomma said...

Okay, so I think that I'm caught up on your blogging. It's been awhile. SO great to be able to read what's been going on. Hugh is so adorable and getting so big. It definitely goes by quickly. Sounds like things are going well and lots of milestones are being reached every day. Thank goodness for the sleeping 7 hours!

Also, I did see the Benjamin Button movie too (1st non-children's movie I've seen in probably a year) and loved it.

Will do better keeping updated. Hope to see you guys soon.

AprilJ said...

Hugh is so cute!!! We've got to get you guys on Skype so we can see him live on webcam. Love you!

Jeremy and Mindy said...

Sounds like Hugh has his mom's taste in accessories. Glad to hear that things are going good.

Theresa said...

He is so adorable and getting big so fast! Look forward to seeing him in person-much more fun that way~!

Melissa said...

I love the Hugh updates as well. He is getting so big and handsome, what great pics!!