Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cousins, cousins, cousins!


Here we are at week sixteen (or four months, but not technically four months until February 23rd...so confusing). It has been a great week filled with lots of family time. Hugh got to meet his family from Alaska, which include another aunt and uncle and two more cousins! So, I am sure you are thinking there will be lots of great pictures with cousins due to the name of the post...wrong. My camera broke last week and we ordered a new one (I am so excited!), but it still hasn't gotten here (season four of The Office arrived (Jake was so excited), but no camera). So, I'll have the others email me some pictures and I will post them once I get them...there are some really cute ones of the older ones babysitting. They all wanted to babysit him and some (Kara and Eli) even told them they would babysit until November for $3 a day...I'll come knocking on their doors in a few years! The best babysitter is his cousin, Clay, who when is done with babysitting just rolls Hugh off his arm and goes to the next thing (don't worry...I monitor the babysitting). It has been a great week!


So, what is new in week sixteen? Well, I have come to the realization that our son will have brown eyes...and you know what, I still love him. I am still holding out for a blue eyed baby...I should have known that Hugh would have brown eyes...he looks nothing like me. He even has some of the same facial expressions of Jake...it is crazy! I love that he looks so much like Jake right now...one day, a girl will think he is such a cutie (just like I did with Jake and still do)! He finally laughed for me...it was very short and of course no one else heard it, but it happened...it really did. He is laughing a lot more for Jake...Jake just looks at him and he laughs (don't worry that I was the one to get up in the night, I am the one who pumps (five times a day), etc....but go ahead and laugh for Daddy all day long...one day it will happen for me). He is really starting to grab onto items more and more. He is becoming more and more verbal...he loves to talk and talk (sometimes it sounds more like complaining). He is spending more time in the Bumbo...he sits with us at the table while we eat dinner. Jake and I were able to have a late night out (thanks to Dan and Peggy) and it was the first time we didn't put him to bed. We are trying more rice cereal and seeing his stubborn side more and more - when he doesn't want to eat...he doesn't want to eat (didn't we already know that?...we like to learn this lesson again and again). He had his best and worst week of sleeping...we are trying to figure out why he cries out early (very early) in the morning (which happened a few times this past week). We brought out his "Teddy" this week (a little bear with a blanket attached since he loves to have a blanket against his cheek with he gets sleepy). Overall, it was a great week with the highlight being lots of family time (and the prospect of lots of new babysitters).


We are so thankful for this little guy. He is so sweet and we have so much fun with him. We love seeing him grow each day and are excited for each new day (however, sometimes I want him to stay little forever). Our hearts are burdened for this little one every day and we desire for him to know the Lord from a very young age. We pray continuously for him. We trust in God for this little guy. We are so blessed! Thanks to everyone for their prayers - we love you all!

(So, not a lot of great pictures...broken camera = bad pictures and no pictures.
New camera in the mail!)

6 comments:

Amy said...

Ok, so the crying out thing. Very typical but if you can, let him go back to sleep. Babywise (that I really don't support mostly) had ONE great piece of info. Most babies wake in the 4-5 o'clock hour and can/will go back to sleep. However, if you are me you wake up with them at 5 and then still wake up with them at 5 a.m. when they are 4 years old. Don't do this!!! :)

Jason and Lisa said...

Looks like a fun week. That's cute that all the cousins want to babysit Hugh! Both my boys did the crying out thing. They both learned that I wasn't going to get them before 7 . I really don't remember when I starting "training" for 7am wake up time. They both "talk" when they wake up until I get them. Good luck...a lot of it is just playing around and seeing what works.

Stephanie said...

I agree with Amy. Just see if you can let him cry at least 15 minutes. Each night let him cry 10 minutes longer. Once he's done this a few nights he will stop. Hugh looks like he as lost some hair...

Melissa said...

Dude, this kid has Johnson blood, he is a sleeper, just cold :)
Good luck planning around those babysitters, bc your best prospect, (due to location) his own mother wouldn't leave her other children with. I stick with Peggy and Anne if it were me. :)
We enjoyed seeing you so much this week, and you know we have a lot of love for "baby Hugh" around here! :)

AprilJ said...

Hug Baby Hugh for us, too.... we miss you guys already.

Brooke said...

I'll add to the a.m. crying advice. Luca used to do the same thing and because I am a bad Mommy I completely ignored her. :) She still wakes up about an hour before I go and get her but now it's "talking" instead of crying. I haven't figured out WHY she wakes up so early but at least it's happy hour now!