Saturday, February 28, 2009

My Buddy!


Well, week eighteen is here! It was a year ago this time that I found out that I was prego and the morning sickness started (yes, almost everyday until twenty-five weeks!). It is crazy to think how quickly a year goes by and now we have a baby! So, I really debated (in my head) about what to title this week's post...Hunger Strike, Fussy Baby, World's Biggest Snack Feeder, My Buddy, Miracle Drug...well, obviously, I decided on My Buddy. Do you all remember those "My Buddy" dolls? You know the commercials, "My Buddy, My Buddy, My Buddy, My Buddy, My Buddy and Me"...well, that has been Hugh this week; however, you cannot put him away in the closet when you longer want to play with him (I tried, it doesn't work...kidding). We do everything together and go everywhere together...so, I thought I would be positive and title it, "My Buddy". Yes, he is on a hunger strike and no, we have not discovered the "Miracle Drug". So, here we are at week eighteen! Jake and I are so in love (getting more and more frustrated with the eating, but still so in love)!


So, what did week eighteen bring? Well, it brought his four month check-up...which brought more shots! He had a tougher time with the shots this round, but he did okay. He really struggled with the oral vaccine and after the nurse finished, she asked me if I wanted to try it again since he didn't get much in...hmmm, let me think about it...no. It also brought his first medication...Axid, which he doesn't love to take...the yummy, bubble gum flavor is not fooling this little guy. The Doctor has diagnosed him with acid reflux, but he has no concrete evidence to base that diagnose upon except for what I have told him. He said it is definitely not normal for a baby to drink a bottle all day and explained that Hugh should be able to finish six to seven ounces of milk in at least thirty minutes. We know there is a problem, but we are not 100% positive what that problem is. So, we are trying Axid to see how it works (we hope it works...it was $40!). So far, it is not the miracle drug we were hoping it would be, but it has only been a few days. The Doctor noticed that he is backsliding on the charts, which would make sense because he refuses to eat. However, he is still healthy and nothing is alarming. He is now 14lbs. 7oz. (50%), 25.25in (75%), and his head has caught up with him and is in the 75%. The Doctor is starting with this medication, but explained there are several we can try. He also explained that he may put him on fortifiers (calorie boosters) for the milk so he can drink less and get more calories. We also talked about seeing a gastroenterologist if the medication doesn't work.


We are praying the medication works and we can move forward. We are planning on calling the pediatrician again on Monday...yes, I am going to be one of those moms that is living at the pediatrician's office...never in a million years did I think I would be one of those moms. We also decided to try and curb the "snack feeding" (I have created the biggest "snack feeder"). So, we thought we'll let him only eat until he pulls off the bottle and then we won't feed him until his next feeding...we were certain he would be starving and would drink six ounces in minutes. Well, after ten hours...he had only drank seven ounces of milk...so, the plan didn't work and we realized Hugh would prefer not to eat. We also decided to try all formula rather than breast milk and took me some time to be okay with that possibly being the problem and having to throw out six hundred ounces of milk! However, that is not the problem. So, we struggle to figure out how to get him to eat thirty to thirty-five ounces (new amount per the Doctor so he can continue to growth pattern on the charts) a day when he is eating about twenty-four ounces. We also decided to stop the solid feedings for now...milk has more calories and he really struggles with eating solids; however, we are doing rice cereals in the bottle per our Doctor's recommendation. Jake and I really need to trust in God during this time...we can really let our minds get the best of us and it isn't good. Having a child that refuses to eat can be very tough at times. Hugh is also getting a lot fussier...we think it is because he is hungry, but won't eat. We are still getting up in the night as well to feed him...some nights are better than others, but I am starting to feel like how I did when he was a newborn...definitely don't want to go back to that place! I just wish I could fall back asleep after getting up...just doesn't work for me. Okay, enough about the eating struggles because we are not miserable and I sure from my post it sounds that way. He is very sweet with lots of smiles...especially in the morning. I love that he gets up and he is so happy and ready to start his day. I still love it when he is willing to snuggle with me...it is so sweet and it melts my heart. He is also starting to explore more and has really started to explore his "thing"...his hands make a beeline there every time it is exposed. Really, boys start that early?!? Jake and I just laugh...I don't laugh as much when his hands go down there when I am trying to clean a dirty diaper...a little gross. He has starting wearing shorts...it is already getting hot in AZ...ahhh!!! He went to the zoo with Jake and some cousins...had a great time (Jake did say he seemed a little more excited about the wind than the animals). Overall, it has been a great (and trying) week! We love this little guy!


We continue to ask for your prayers as we struggle to figure out what is going on and determine what the best course of action is for Hugh. We just want him to eat. We know we need to put our trust in God. It is so true that God uses our children to sanctify us...we just want to turn to God during this time rather than turn away. We focus our hearts on Matthew 11:30...knowing that God's burden is light and knowing that this season is so short. We know God is so good!


So, in case you all are wondering...my hair is still falling out (I am starting to feel like Jake) and I am still pumping (albeit four times a day rather than five times...we gots more milk than Shamrock around here). We hope you all are doing well and we love you all!

8 comments:

Pam said...

Great pictures of your buddy. I will be praying for the eating issues.

Jason and Lisa said...

He is such a cutie. Sorry you are still having eating issues. I'll be praying for you guys.

Brooke said...

Oh dear! How frustrating, you will be in my prayers often. Love the pictures! The hair: mine is just now letting up so not to discourage you but you might have a couple months of shedding left. :)

Amy said...

There is definitely a lot to pray for and I will be for you all for sure. I just have to make this comment - you started on your hair falling out right after the pic with Hugh on Jake's (I think) bare chest. I laughed about that one. :)

Mandy Kershaw said...

I feel for you... Hugh sounds a lot like Isaac. While the medicine will help relieve some of his pain from the reflux, don't rule out teething. All three of my kids started teething like mad by 3 months and had teeth by 5 months. Isaac, of course, was the only one who went on hunger strike. It wasn't while he was cutting the teeth either; it was the two months prior to the the teeth coming through that were the most trying. Pair the teething with the reflux and I'm pretty sure Isaac is going to be in the 5 %-ile until he has all his teeth and outgrows the reflux. It's a cause for anxiety but God is faithful. Isaac is in fact growing and thriving, just more slowly and sometimes more painfully than his other baby friends. I'm praying for you!

Melissa said...

L-O-V-E the pictures, how awesome is the new camera!!?!? Man, the first pic looks exactly like Jake! To cute!
We (Troy, Me and E) are praying for you guys.
Oh- so funny, the "My Buddy" title, that is so fitting for babies. :) I will hope (and pray) week 20's title is "SUCCESS, HE EATS" or something like that. Hopefully the up dose of axid and time, will help. :)

AprilJ said...

Yea for big heads!! My kids heads were always in the 75-95%ile. Nice. Let's hope for big brains... I'm sorry you're still struggling with eating. We'll be praying for baby Hugh (as he's called around here). The pictures are great!! He's changing even in 2 weeks. Hugs.

Cristina said...

Love the photo on the Bumbo seat! I had one for Doménica but I could never put her in it b/c her legs were to chubby and would not fit o:) See being one of those babies who chugs on milk also has downsides.. will be praying for you!