Saturday, February 7, 2009

New Things...


It is week fifteen! (Yes, I am still going to count in weeks since I am going to do a post for each week of his first year...so, I have to count in weeks. I think it will start getting a little weird after week twenty (or maybe it has already gotten weird), but I am going to keep counting in weeks!) So, week fifteen brought lots of new things! It has been a great week and Hugh is still doing great...I think he is huge (I saw my friend, Karla's baby this week (who is brand new) and it made me feel that Hugh is huge compared to him...so, is it time for a new one?!?). We love seeing our little guy getting bigger and bigger and enjoying each new day.



So, what were the new things? Well, it brought a lot of Mama and Hugh time...Jake was out of town for the majority of the week in Florida...so, it was Hugh and me. We did fine, but it is nice having an extra set of hands. So, it brought bath time with me for Hugh (instead of Daddy)...well, he enjoys bath time more with Daddy...I am over it. It brought his first Super Bowl party...and of course he started crying when everyone else was screaming in the last two minutes of the game (he was scared...sudden, loud noises freak him out). It brought rice cereal...yes, I know you are supposed to wait until four months (but is it four months or sixteen weeks?) and I really thought we were at week sixteen when we started (Jake reminded that we were not)...oh, well...he is just fine. I think he enjoyed the bib more than the rice cereal...we'll try it again in a week or so. It brought the exersaucer...he is way to small, but he loves to stand...so, we tried it out. He'll need to grow into it. Side note - I put it together...and it was very hard. It brought a call to the pediatrician because he is still really struggling with being able to take more than three to four ounces of milk at a time. So, here was the conversation with the nurse...
Me: He is three and half months old and he still cannot take a full six ounces at a feeding. Do you think something is wrong with him?
Nurse: Still pretty young and the average intake of a baby at three to four months old is three to four ounces of milk, so it sounds like he is just fine.
Me: Are you sure? I have friends whose babies can take six to eight ounces of milk very easily and in one sitting.
Nurse: Yes, they are called piglets. Does your baby look chubby?
Me: No, he is long and lean.
Nurse: Well, sounds like he is not a piglet, but he is growing. Is he screaming after he eats?
Me: Not really, but he can get fussy at night sometimes.
Nurse: Sounds like every other baby. Stop listening to other moms. However, it is your right to bring him in and we will check him out, but he sounds just fine.
So, I kept my $15 and didn't bring him in and have continued to learn the lesson that not all babies are alike...Hugh is Hugh and that is just fine with me. Also, it was a good heart check lesson for me...I think I wanted him to take something to make it easier on me rather than for him (not my shining moment as a mother...just one more to add to my growing list). It brought a nap in a very dark closet (my theory that it is not the swing that helps him sleep, but it being darker)...well, he didn't nap very well...so, my theory may have some holes in it...do they make swings for toddlers? It has brought lots more grabbing - he is really starting to be able to focus on an object and grab it. It has brought a lot more time in the Bumbo (we are working on his core muscles). Oh, yes...it brought some more giggles...only for Daddy...yes, I am over it (not really, but I love that it is for Jake and not some random...that would really drive me nuts). Overall, it was a good week and we learned a lot.



We look forward to this next week...time for Hugh to meet our Alaska family! He is very excited. Hopefully, my hair will stop falling out this next week or Hugh could have two bald parents and that would be sad. We praise God for Hugh's continued growth and health. We are always reminded that God provides for us and to not worry about tomorrow...we put our trust in him for our family. We love you all and hope you all are doing well!

(Sorry, the flash isn't working on my camera...so, some of shots are a little dark.)

10 comments:

Jason and Lisa said...

Definitely ask your questions. I am sure I have made the nurses laugh about me (but I'm okay with that). I had to laugh at the piglet...I never thought of that name for G (aka my chunky monkey). G was taking 6-8 oz. at 3-4 months but he WAS/IS huge. Hugh looks to be growing just fine. Every baby is so different. There are so many things that we could find to compare but there is no point.

Theresa said...

He is changing SO much! I don't remember such light hair, is he going to be a blondie? And his eyes are looking lighter, I don't know, he's cuter by the day! Let me know when you get tired of me saying that... ;)

Filleman Family said...

I love the picture of him sleeping on your shoulder. I love it when their faces smoosh against you when they conk out. I say SWING AWAY. I only just had to move G to his bed at naps about a week ago so you still have plenty of time. And to encourage you - it only took him about 2 days to adjust to napping in his bed b/c he was used to the pattern of a long swing nap.

AprilJ said...

I'll second the motion to keep swinging for naps. You've got plenty of time to work that out :) As for the ped's office, they get paid to answer your questions.

Mindy said...

Jenn- He is getting so big! He looks completely different from when I saw him. You must be doing a good job.

You have freaked me out a little bit. What is this talk about hair falling out? Is that common after pregnancy? I barely have any hair as it is! :(

Have a great week!

Amy said...

He is so cute...and I think he is looking blonder too. The first squinchy eye picture looks Johnson, there may be hope.:) Oh, and NEVER compare your children to Melissa's - disappointment EVERY time.:)

The Motor Moron said...

As he turns blond he reminds me of a little Brendan...lets not hope you get the head/broken leg/constipated parts of B if this is the case and instead get the smiley, snuggly, silly parts!

Brooke said...

I will "third" the swinging naps! Luca is still taking one a day in hers and I like it. She has no problem taking her long one in the crib either...keep on doing what works for HUGH & YOU! ;-)

The hair falling out is depressing isn't it? Mine is still deserting me at record rates. Joe says he will buy me the best wig out there! Ahhh...fun.

Melissa said...

Ouch- Amy

Do you remember when you helped me build my exersaucer? They are not enjoyable to build.
Glad to see he likes the rice cereal okay, he looks very big in that bumbo.
Your hair is going to keep falling out, I think Michelle sheds for like 6 months after childbirth.
And dude, I thought you thought the milk was bothering Hugh's stomach?

Cristina said...

Wow, he really is getting big. I can't believe how different and grown his face in one of the last pictures of the post...I liked how you relived the phone conversation with the nurse... guess my kids are piglets...