Sunday, March 8, 2009

Trial...and Error


So, here we are at week nineteen! Hugh is getting so big...this week was the first time that I thought to myself, "Wow, he really is getting to be so big...not a little baby any more." I am a little sad that he is growing up so fast...I guess we need to have another little baby (not too soon). God has blessed us so much with this little boy and each new day is something new. God is definitely using this little guy to sanctify us and we always pray we turn to the cross in times of struggle rather than turn away from it.


Well, unfortunately, this post title is not, "Miracle Drug" or "Yes, He is Eating!"...we are still struggling with the eating. This last weekend was the worst he had ever been...he basically would only eat while sleeping (it is called sleep feeding or dream feeding). It was tough to watch since he would be so hungry yet he would refuse to eat. So, we called the Doctor back on Monday and headed to the office (I am helping stimulate the economy...dumping lots of money into the healthcare system). Well, the Doctor explained that Axid can make babies nauseous and Hugh was probably struggling with that...so, we started him on Zantac. The Zantac has been helping...he is eating while awake again and the arching of the back is getting to be less and less. We maxed out the Zantac dose this last week to see if he would be able to drink more than a few ounces per feeding, but we haven't seen much change. So, we'll be back to stimulating the economy on Monday (back to the Doctor to try a new drug). We decided to add a scoop of formula to every bottle so he can continue to get the calories he needs without having to drink them...we haven't asked the Doctor if this was okay, but we assume it is fine. We have decided that we don't want to live at the Doctor's office, so we know he will eventually (emphasis on eventually) grow out of this and we can live with his eating habits for now...so, we'll try one more drug and then probably stop unless the doctor thinks we should keep trying new things. The hard thing is, is we feel like he'll be making progress and then the next day he is right back to where he was. We'll see how next week goes.


So, what is new this week? Well, he has learned to pull his pacifier out, but hasn't quite learned how to put it back the right way. He is much more purposeful with his grabbing and everything goes into the mouth. We are pretty convinced he is now teething since everything goes into the mouth, he is always drooling, and runs a low grade fever all the time. I almost thought about trying to breastfeed him again (it would be so much easier...less dishwashing, always the perfect temperature, less bags to carry, etc.); however, once I felt him chomp on my finger, I decided that my body didn't need that much pain...the pump is much sweeter to me (treats me like a lady). He also had his first time since birth that he has missed a poo day...this guy is extremely regular, so this is a little change for us (he is on day three of no poos)...we wonder if the Zantac is making him constipated. We are waiting for the big poop out, and we sure it will happen at church tonight (lucky them). He got his first ride in Bjorn facing out...he loved it! He has also decided that his new, favorite thing is the mobile in his crib...he can just lay in there and watch it...he squeals in delight and has the biggest smile for his "alien" looking friends.


We (or I should say me) are failing at trusting the Lord and waiting on Him. I can tell you that it is so frustrating when your child will not eat, but is hungry...it pulls at your patience. We know God is so good and with Him all things are possible (Matt. 19:26), but we need to constantly turn back to Him. It is very easy to look away from the cross and look to everything else. We know God is teaching us so much through all of this and we pray (pray and pray) that our hearts will listen to Him.


Thanks to you all for your prayers! We hope everyone is doing well!

7 comments:

AprilJ said...

So cute! He looks like he's filling out even with his hunger strike. I'm sorry you guys are still struggling with the eating. I wish I had some tricks up my sleeve for infant feedings, unfortunately, my experience is with the older guys :) We're praying for you!! (and we can't wait to see you all in like 7 weeks or so)

Amy said...

First of all, I can barely handle how cute he is. OH MY GOSH! Anyway, I understand completely how hard things can be trying to figure out an infant. I have tried the worry tactic so many times and it always fails so turn back to God and the Cross and He will not fail! You can do it! You are a good mommy and Jake is a good daddy! :)

Jason and Lisa said...

I completely agree with April and Amy. Hugh is such a cutie, he looks like he is filling out, and you and Jake are great parents.

Filleman Family said...

I was going to say the same thing . . SO CUTE and such a tummy for bad eating habits.

DeeBoyzMomma said...

I'm sorry to hear you are still having troubles with the eating, but agree with everyone else... he definitely looks healthy and is such a happy baby. He is soooo smiley! I love it! He is so adorable. Glad you guys are doing well. Keeping you in my thoughts/prayers.

Melissa said...

I think he is SO cute as well. :) I love that he smiles with his whole face. You make me laugh, "treats me like a lady" comment very funny. I hope the new drug works better. :)

twingeneration said...

A tip I learned in the NICU with the twins for constipation...1 tsp of pear juice. It's worked for Austin quite a few times in his 2 month lifespan. Don't know if the dr. would recommend it, but it may be worth a try.

He is just about the cutest baby around :)!