Saturday, April 18, 2009

Fussin', fussin', fussin'...


Wow, week twenty-five...unreal! We are almost at the half way point for his first year and Hugh will officially be six months this next week. Time is going by so fast...some times goes by faster than other times. This week brought A LOT of fussin', but it also brought a lot of smiles. We are so in love with our fussin' muffin!


So, what did week twenty-five bring besides A LOT of fussin'...well, it brought his first Easter, which I would say was the highlight. Hugh would probably say getting to wear the tie was the highlight...we loved the Easter outfit...so cute. We had a wonderful church service outside and really enjoyed getting to see lots of family. Unfortunately, Hugh missed his first Easter egg hunt since he was sleeping, but we know there will be lots more in his future. However, he did get to try everything (and I mean everything...even lamb) that we were eating since Jake decided to feed him everything on his plate...yes, Jake (who has to wash the paci every time it falls to the floor, who still makes me wash all Hugh's clothes before each wear, who starts to hyperventilate when dirty fingers get to close to Hugh's face, and the list goes on)...trust me - I was shocked. Hugh didn't really take to any of it, but it was fun to see all of his facial expressions...constant reminders of our future (and present) with him eating. He still has no teeth...so, I won't be using the "teething" excuse for his fussin' any longer...I'll just be honest - he is fussy. He still has a runny nose...I don't think it is a cold, but seems more like allergies (diagnosed by Dr. Saylor). We have realized we have the stinky kid with the crusty nose...just what we always wanted and the kid all parents want their kid to be friends with...right. We had another trip to the zoo with his cousins - it was a lot of fun (and a little tiring). I had all the boys for about twenty minutes by myself...wow, definitely killed any dreams of wanting multiples. Hugh was in the Bjorn, Logan was by the hand, TJ was strolling behind, and Eli was explaining to me that TJ always moves so slow (the slowest in the family he explained...I explained that he was just more observant)...we were trying to find the coyotes (of all the animals at the zoo, Eli wanted to see the coyotes). Well, we never saw the coyotes...they were hiding (or something), but I got a couple comments and some stares..."Wow, four young boys...you have your hands full!" I didn't correct them...I would claim those boys any day of the week...they are awesome. I told Melissa that she didn't have to worry about getting those comments because she only has three boys. He is still really trying to sit up independently...he can do it for a few minutes, but then tumbles over and gives me his, "Why in the world would you let that happen?" stare. We have a spitter...he spits all the time and I absolutely love it...so, wait...we have the stinky, crusty nose, spitting kid...even better. Jake tried to spit back at him...he started crying. He is getting a lot more ticklish...I love to tickle him. He is a lot more grabby...holding him while trying to enjoy a meal is so fun; however, Jake and I love to eat in under five minutes. Overall, the week was great...seemed a little long at times with all the fussin' (nothing a good set of ear plugs and a bottle of wine can't handle...kidding), but was still a lot of fun.


Well, we had our first weight check this week...and our chunky monkey gained eight ounces since his last appointment! I was thrilled! Praise God for his growth! And the best part - they didn't charge us the $30 co-pay! I spoke with the GI nurse and she says, "Well, he gained some weight, but it isn't good enough." Guess what...it is good enough for him and us! He is now 28in. (90%) and 16lbs.2oz. (10%)...long and lean (nothing wrong with that). So, we are not going to do anymore weight checks and we'll just wait to see the GI doctor at the end of the month. Also, he is back on Zantac (in addition to the Prevacid) - Jake and I were already starting to experiment with this combo (since we went to the Saylor School of Medicine and why wouldn't you start mixing drugs with a six month old) and the doctor agreed with us (he should probably consult us more often). The reason for the Zantac...he was fussin' and why not load a baby full of drugs...kidding...he was having a lot more back arching and pain while eating. He is still struggling with the eating, but we see it getting better...we actually think he may even be crying for food at times (wow, what a concept). God is so good!


We are so blessed by our little guy. We realized a long time ago that God is allowing us to walk through this trial and we need to trust in Him. He doesn't give us the trials so we can focus on the trial, but He gives them to us so we can focus on Him (James 1:12). I have realized that you can allow the trials in your life to become the center of your life (and if it is not one thing then it is another...this week I started freaking out about Hugh having a flat head)...Christ easily loses His place on the throne. When Christ isn't at the center, everything else is off balance. We pray God is always on the throne in our lives...where He has always been and will always be. His grace is amazing and His mercies are new every morning!


Thank you all for your continued prayers - we love you all!


Ending note...we bought a freezer a couple of weeks ago since we are in the "milk" producing business...one hundred and thirty bags...seven hundred and eighty ounces...holy milks!

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Don't believe her, Hugh is the HAPPIEST most content baby ever!!
Very cute pictures!! I am so glad he is doing good. And I am very impressed with Jake, just branching out.

Jenn Saylor said...

I'll admit it...he is not the fussiest baby, but he has his moments. He is sweet most of the time!

AprilJ said...

Yay for Jake and his loosening up.. there's a lot of dirt in AK.. you might want to get him ready for that.. and my children are the original stinky kids with booger-crusted noses :) Yay for an 8 oz weight gain!!

Theresa said...

I have lots to say...:) First of all, the picture of Jake's and Hugh's face is precious! You need to frame that one! And secondly, for the annoying voice of another mommy, he very well could be teething but you just don't see anything coming up yet. My ped. told me once they can have "symptoms" long before the teeth come which could explain the nose and fussy! I say go with it; it works every time and you can use that excuse until the two-year molars come. In fact, I just used that one yesterday!! ;)

Filleman Family said...

T tells me that about teething all the time so I hold to that theory too. I'm thankful with you guys for his weight gain. I also have to say that I have only seen him be happy and content . . even late at night, on Easter, after being hauled around all day . . .wish I could have said the same for G :)

mcmomE3 said...

Im glad that Hugh was able to gain that much weight that is awesome! And by the last picture that you posted it doesnt look like you need to worry about a "flat head". It looks pretty round...but I do it too checking the back of Landon's head every day!

Amy said...

I'm going to be the one with no comments except one - I don't buy the "kidding" part of ear plugs and wine. :)

Cristina said...

Yeay for weight gain! On him that is:o)

The Martins said...

"Hello, my name is Jenn Saylor and I'm a parent of a fussy child."

Went from crazyland to PoFK's anon (Parents of Fussy Children Anonymous). This parenting stuff is a wild ride. :)

I take the weight gain as FABULOUS exciting wonderful news! Keep it up, Hugh! Hooray!

The Noland Family said...

That is so funny, Gracelyn has been such a little fussy ducky today. she was sleeping with her eyes closed and then started to scream and cry... our poor little ones.. Yay!!! Hugh gained weight!!! We will continue to pray for him!

Jason and Lisa said...

I'm with Theresa and Michelle on the teething. Yeah for the awesome weight gain...keep it up buddy!

DeeBoyzMomma said...

I sat and watched that baby, in a public restaurant, for over two hours, sit and be content and laugh and smile to his hearts delight. I haven't taken my two year old into a restaurant in over a year and a 1/2. Don't over-estimate the fussy baby syndrome. You've got an angel on your hands. Eat it up! :) Hahaha...

Glad to hear that he's chubbin' up a bit. Oh, and I think it's hilarious that Jake still makes you wash all of his clothes first. Chris was OCD about that and STILL wants to try to get the clothes washed b4 the boys wear them! It's all I can do to get them put away in the right room/cubbies for them to wear at all!