Thursday, April 30, 2009

Getting Ready!


So, here we are at week twenty-seven! Unbelievable! We are so excited for each new week, but we wish we could stop time so we could enjoy each week even more. The days (even the hard ones) go by so fast! So, why the early post? Well, we are leaving for our great adventure tonight (Alaska Extravaganza)...so, why not blog? It is not like I have a million other things to do to get ready for our trip?!?! Also, Jake won't be able to read the blog before posting...ah, the freedom of speech I now have...kidding (Jake rarely edits me!)! Also, I couldn't miss a week of Hugh's life (technically, Thursday is the day I should write the blog since he was born on a Thursday). We love our little boy!



So, what did week twenty-seven bring us? Well, it brought the high chair...no, he is not eating in it. He "hangs" out in it...we tried some "puffs" and he gave the "are you completely crazy?" look. He tried his first pretzel...we think he may be a salt lover (a boy after his Mama's heart). So, I looked for biter biscuits this week since he seemed to be into the pretzel. Well, I determined that baby food manufacturers finally did realize how absolutely disgusting biter biscuits are (how they cake on everything and you have to chisel it off) and have stopped manufacturing them. So...no biter biscuits. He went to another birthday party, this time for his cousin, Logan - he had a wonderful time. He loves to watch all the big kids. We had another appointment with the GI Doctor this week. Well, he now weighs 16lbs. 7oz. (yes, we know it is less than what he weighed last week...we are not concerned) and is over 28in. long (we trust their measurements more than the other Doctor...their measurement is more scientific than the other Doctor who does the, "Now, hold your finger here while I..." measurement). He said Hugh looks great and remains on his current growth curve (we already knew that). He sat and answered all of our questions (and if you know us...we had A LOT of questions). So, we are not worried about future children having this issue - it is not genetic; he has most likely had this issue from birth; he will grow out of it; he is not a Doogie Howser doctor (kidding - we didn't ask that question, but wow...he looks young); and the questions/answers go on and on (and on and on...). We changed his meds AGAIN...so, now he is only on Prevacid twice a day and no Zantac (of course it had to be that way...the Prevacid is $40 and the Zantac is $10). He explained that Hugh will need feeding therapy since he is struggling with the solid feedings. We will most likely have a speech pathologist come to the house to determine how to handle (they watch us feed him and then slap our hand for all the bad habits we are allowing he to create). I do my own feeding therapies with him everyday...I eat all day in front of him and have him watch watch me...guess it is not working. We also discussed the tube again...I'll be honest, there was a part of me that thought, "ah, a night drip feeding...it would be so easy...no longer having to feed ALL DAY"; however, I know it is not easy - we have a friend's daughter who just got a NG tube and it is SO hard...so, we pray for them and praise God that the tube is not needed at this time. It was going to have to be a real possibility if we changed his "shake" consistency - the nutritionist said we weren't making the honey consistency as prescribed and we could be harming Hugh. We explained that the speech pathologist had allowed this; however, it was no where in her report. If we needed to switch to the nutritionist's recommendation...he would need seventy-five ounces of fluid a day to get twenty-six ounces a day (it was crazy and I think the Doctor had it all mixed up)! The Doctor said we could stay on "our" recipe for now. So, we'll visit again in June to see how everything is going. Our little guy is still super sweet with lots of smiles and giggles...God has blessed us so much!


Well, I should get back to all my "chores" and get ready for the trip...I just didn't want to disappoint my faithful blog readers (all ten of you) and not have a post this week (week twenty-seven was too important to let disappear). So, me, Jake, Hugh...and Mr. Pump will be boarding a plane tonight for our great Alaskan Adventure...goodbye Arizona and goodbye swine flu (hopefully, that isn't in Alaska)! Please pray for our LONG plane trip (six hours...I am sure my boys will be sleeping and I'll be wide awake...awesome) and our trip! I am sure we'll have lots of "firsts" to post for next week and love of good lovin' to report from the AK Johnson crew. We love you all and hope you all are doing well!

8 comments:

Krista said...

He is looking more and more like a little boy! :) Adorable! Good luck with the flight, it will be great! Have fun!!!

Cristina said...

Have fun!

Jen said...

Have so much fun, take lots of pictures. :)

Theresa said...

Can't wait to hear about AK! What a fun trip! :)

Filleman Family said...

I eat and eat all day in front of P too but still the child only eats breakfast (and junk food of course if I will give it to him ;) just kidding. I'm sure that is not in your future. Good news . . its not necessarily going to be the same for the next baby . . . guess it is time to get goin' with number TWO !!

twingeneration said...

Good luck with the Alaska trip...can't wait for the update on that!

Stephanie said...

He is so cute!! I can't believe how much he has changed. Well I haven't seen him in person since December. He is growing to be a little man. I love to watch them create a personality. Have fun on your trip.

Brandie said...

You have been on my heart A LOT this week. I would share here, but I would probably end up typing a novel. So just quickly...God gives us the strength we need to make it through all circumstances. If you end up having to go the NG Tube route, it will be okay. Really. I certainly will have a list of tips for you. Know you can call anytime.

Sending prayers for Hugh (and you and Jake as well). Hope your first Mother's Day is extra special. You deserve it!

B

PS...Your trip sound amazing. Can't wait to see some pics.

Brandie