Sunday, May 17, 2009

Bring on the Heat!


Here it is...week twenty-nine! Everyday we are inching closer and closer to a full year with our little guy...unbelievable! We are so excited for each new day and love to see Hugh's personality develop more and more each new week. We are reminded daily that we are so blessed to be his parents and that children are truly a blessing from the Lord.



So, what did week twenty-nine bring? Well, it is really hard to top week twenty-eight...so, I don't even think we are going to try. This week we were welcomed into the scorching heat...ah, Arizona (why do we live here?!?). So, we got a pool...yes, a real pool and it would be an awesome pool if we were only nineteen inches tall; however, we are not...so, it is definitely a baby pool for Hugh. He loves his tub, so we figured he would love the pool...and we are right...he is a water baby. We'll be spending lots of time in the pool this summer. We look forward to taking him in the "big" pool soon. So, his pool meant a new suit for me (ah, lucky me)...so, I went with the Old Navy special for $12.50...I figure, "Why would I spend a lot of money on something I don't enjoy wearing and will most likely try to cover up?" Anyway, the mirrors are so unforgiving and I am sure they add ten pounds (similar to a camera). Oh well, I will suck it up and put on the suit to enjoy "lounging" by the pool with Hugh all summer. What else for this week? He tried his first biter biscuit...and now I know why it is so hard to find these things...they are NASTY. Most of it went on him or the high chair, but it kept him entertained while I cooked (and maybe while I watched Grey's)...you'll do whatever to keep a child entertained. He has learned to chew on the bottle nipple while pretending to drink (how can a baby learn so many things that drive parents crazy!?!). He drank a forty...of milk...well, forty in Hugh's world (his alternate reality world where thirty-two ounces of milk is forty ounces, he is held all the time, he is waited on all day, etc.). He is getting much better with milk intake and is doing slightly better with his solid feedings. He always eats the best for my mom...we are still convinced that she is chowing some for him. We will continue to work on the feedings (with Hugh, not my mom...she has got them down). So, with the forty brought some "crying it out" time for Hugh. He only cried for a couple minutes in the middle of the night, so it wasn't too bad. However, he is now deciding that his wake-up time will be five in the morning (which is still the middle of the night in the Saylor household). So, we are trying to break this as well...a little harder than we would like. This week brought a preview of his first birthday...we let him go at Jake's birthday cupcake at a restaurant...so, he mashed it all up but would not put anything into his mouth...shocker. Seriously, this kid will put anything and everything into his mouth, but when any food item comes near him...he closes up shop. I am sure the first birthday will be interesting. So, we realized that we will be staying away from restaurants for the next five years...too much work. Hugh has taken away all the enjoyment from trying to enjoy a nice meal. He enjoyed some cousin time...they were all loving on him. Logan was especially sweet and even offered to carry him (I thought about it...I needed a break, but then Jake's face popped into my head and I thought maybe next time). He enjoyed some sweet time with Evie...she is getting too big, too soon (notice the size of my son's head versus her head...and now we know why it took two LONG hours of pushing)! So, I think we can officially say that Hugh is 100% broken from swing napping...we have been working on this for six weeks, but I didn't want to blog about it and get the blog curse. He is still not the best sleeper, but some naps are better than no naps. We are starting to work the baby signs with him...he just stares at us. He has started moving his hands in the "all done" motion (of course this would be the first one he learns...he is all done before he even starts), but I don't think he really understands what he is doing yet. We are going to keep working on them. We are still working on tummy time...definitely not Hugh's favorite thing. He thinks that if he balances on his tummy and kicks his legs and swings his arms really fast that he will magically start moving...it hasn't worked yet, but we are glad to see he isn't giving up on his dream. He still has no teeth (and like the broken record that I am...I swear they are coming...he chews on EVERYTHING (except food) and drools like crazy). He has started to get more dramatic in his crying...like the world is ending unless we fix his problem immediately. Each week brings more personality and lots more love! We are so blessed!




Thank you all for your prayers...we are so blessed by each of you. We cannot believe that Hugh will be seven months this next week...where does the time go?!? We thank God everyday for the amazing gift of salvation and all the incredible blessings he has given to us.


7 comments:

Theresa said...

So sweet! That "baby pool" brings back so many memories, and is definitely a hit when looking for something to do when it's 115 outside! It sounds like things are easing up a little-how gracious God is! I need to hold that little one-have I mentioned how cute he is?

Amy said...

So cute! Time flies. I want this baby out but before I know it she will be having her first birthday too. wow.

Jason and Lisa said...

What a cutie.

The Martins said...

Wait. You wrote about the bathing suit, but I don't see it anywhere in any of the pictures. Did I miss something? Where's the bathing suit? Did you forget to post that one? Maybe for week 30.

AprilJ said...

And I so thought we were onto something with the beans.. or was it the ice cream... maybe it was the pickles? Anyway, I'm sorry that you guys haven't hit the food jackpot. He's still cuter than ever :)

Brooke said...

LOVE the pool pics! You're getting very good with that snazzy camera. :) What is it with 5am wake times? Luca's been thinking that's morning for the last couple of weeks too...I change her diaper, give her a bottle snack and plop her back in her crib. She talks/snoozes/plays until 7 (which actually IS morning) and I get her up. ;-)

Melissa said...

Since he has the name Hugh, he should get the Hugh brain as well, and he is going to need a big head for that. Great pics, I know someone who has a "big" pool you can come hang out in!! :)