Monday, May 11, 2009

The Great Adventure!


Here we are...now past week twenty-eight, but this post is still for week twenty-eight (I am not missing a week!). Week twenty-eight (and some of week twenty-nine) was a HUGE week for Hugh with lots (and lots) of "firsts" and lots of "firsts" for us as well. We had the priviledge of visiting the Johnson AK Crew and it was awesome! This trip had been planned since last summer (yes, I am a planner) and it was amazing! Thanks to the Johnson Family for an incredible Alaska Adventure!



So, what did week twenty-eight bring...well, what did week twenty-eight not bring?!? Hugh experienced his first airplane ride...he did really well. He was able to sit in first class for one leg of the trip and he has decided that he is definitely first class and is not coach (I feel the exact same way). He also got to experience a diaper change in an airplane lavatory (my worst nightmare came true...yes, I was that mom with the stinky kid on the airplane). He got his first sickness...fever, cough, etc. However, it only lasted the first couple days...and luckily, Dr. Dixon (neighbor from down the street) checked him out and said he was fine. Yes, we freak out with every cough...the doctors can really freak you out when you have a child that struggles with aspiration. So, Hugh survived...and so did we. He got to experience ALASKA! I waited almost thirty years to see this amazing state and he waited six months...something doesn't seem right. He got lots of love from Aunt April, Uncle Clayton, and his cousins (Kara and Clay). Kara and Clay were so sweet with him...he love himself some cousin lovin'. He is definitely going to miss the constant attention from them (I am going to miss my free entertainment for him.). He was called "Bayee Hugh" (picture an almost four year-old with a Texas twang saying Baby Hugh...it was great). We think we found a new "best" friend...the tv...hmmm...a whole new way to parent (kidding). He got to go on his first hike(s)...and got to have meltdowns on a couple of them. We didn't have to worry about bears coming near us...Hugh was our "bear bell". He got to wear shorts in Alaska (I was not prepared for this...I brought a snow suit...not shorts (hey, I am like McGyver...I always want to be prepared for the worst))...the weather was amazing! He got to hang out with the cats...first animal experience (true animal experience...he has gotten lots of "animal" cousin experience). He got lots (and lots) of car time...hopefully, everyone's ears will stop bleeding soon (kidding...he did fairly well). He got to see Kara in her school production...he was very impressed. He got to meet some more extended family and some of Jake's college friends. We left him for the first time with a stranger (no...not just some random...it was a friend (Kamdon) of April's...don't worry, Jake did fine). He loved all the family time (especially the hold time, the attention time, the giggle fests with Uncle Clayton and Aunt April, and the list goes on)...sorry, but now it is back to real life and the play mat. Overall, a week to remember (but aren't they all?)!





So, what "firsts" for us? Well, it brought pumping sessions in the airport and the car...finally, I have arrived and come full circle. Nothing is better than pumping milk in an airport bathroom or the backseat of a car. I got to experience my first Mother's Day - I love being a Mama...God has blessed me so much and I am in awe everyday. Jake got me a new game for my Nintendo DS (yes, I have a DS and no, I am not twelve...the highlight was when Kara says to her neighborhood friend, "My aunt is so cool, she has a DS." Kara is almost six years-old...enough said.) I got to go on a glacier tour (thanks to my wonderful husband) with April to Denali (which is Mt. McKinley to all you non-natives)...it was absolutely amazing. We got to see Clayton fly his F-22...and for a brief moment (very brief), I actually thought my brother was cool (again...it was a very brief moment). We got to experience AK wildlife (you should see my niece and nephew...kidding!)...bears, moose, caribou, tigers...yes, we saw them all (and yes, it was at the zoo...however, we did see moose on the loose a couple times). We got to do lots of hiking, which was amazing (the views are incredible...seriously)...we even saw bear tracks (I thought Clayton was just trying to freak us out at first...but we definitely saw bear tracks or a dog on steroids). We were eaten alive by small, winged creatures (aka mosquitoes...they were enormous). We got to sleep with a noise machine (which is another worst nightmare for me), but we actually really liked the running stream...so peaceful. I realized Alaska isn't "third world" (they don't have a major mall...I was a little nervous) and it is awesome (except it was still light outside at 11PM...crazy). The best thing was all the family time...we love getting to see the Johnson Family and they make us laugh. I realized it will be so funny once Hugh is talking...great quotable from Clay when we were discussing Mother's Day..."When is Little Boy's Day?"...isn't that everday?!? It was very funny...there were lots of quotables from Clay...he is hilarious. Oh, and how could I forget...I got new sunglasses (this was for Melissa...I finally have entered the "Big Eyed" Club...I have been wanting to fit in with Melissa for years...it finally happened (well, I guess she'll be the judge of that)...and no, I am not sporting them in the picture above (Melissa, I know you were getting nervous that I bought the exact same pair from the 90's.)). Overall, it was an amazing trip and we cannot wait to go back.




Oh...the eating issues? Still there...not a big shock. We are still waiting to hear about a feeding evaluation, which could take months to even get an appointment scheduled...we are learning to be patient. We are still diligently working on solid feedings...he got some new eats in Alaska...we still haven't figured out what "wets" his palette. He is still not sleeping well and we are considering doing the "crying out" thing this week...just don't know yet because it all depends on his intake...he normally is counting on getting that extra feeding in the late night hours (lucky us). He has good days (thirty ounces) and bad days (eighteen ounces) with his eating. This week we will be back to tummy time...this kid needs to learn to start moving. He is very content with someone carrying him everywhere...I guess I would be as well. We love this baby (even if he is a little lazy)!




So, definitely a week to remember for us all and now it is back to the real world (why can't we just vacation all the time?!?). God has blessed us so much with His creation and has allowed us to enjoy it...what an amazing God. We also are so blessed by so many amazing family members...praise God! Thanks to you all for your prayers for a safe journey...it was incredible! We hope everyone is doing well!

7 comments:

Jen said...

So awesome! I'm so glad you all had a great time. :)

Melissa said...

SO what made you buy new glasses? Broke the old ones running from a bear?? OR knowing you fleeing from a VERY scary bee?? Kidding!!
We missed you guys, I am so glad you all had fun. We had some updates from your mom while you were gone, she was missing you guys A LOT, or maybe just Hugh. The pictures are awesome, you are becoming quite the photographer.
Well can't wait to see your new look...
And please, if you want to fit in with me, quit showering or wearing makeup, have to many kids than you can handle and eat about 3 boxes of cereal a week, and you will be my twin. ;)

Amy said...

Oh Melissa, you are hilarious. Jenn, so glad you all had a nice time and that Hugh did well. Yah, I'm thinking G-ma Anne missed her baby Hugh. You are quite the city girl based on your comments. You make me laugh REAL hard. :)

Theresa said...

Jen, so glad you are back. It seems like you had a great time. I have to say I was a little bored last week without a week (whatever it was ;) update. I now am caught up...and Hugh continues to get cuter each week!!

Filleman Family said...

Hugh looks so big to me - that picture on April's blog with Kara - he looks like a little kid. Crazy. What a great first Mother's Day and what a sweet, little boy! Can't wait to see the glasses . . . so when are you going to sport some 'prom hair' :)

AprilJ said...

Our house is very quiet without the Saylors and the kids are still not over your being gone... (consider this a plea to any family members considering a trip out, you could think of it as a mission trip of sorts) Really fun times. Thanks for making the trip!!

Brooke said...

That "Trouble" picture is the cutest thing I've seen in a long time! Sounds like your trip was awesome, loved reading about it. And, I second Amy, you and Melissa are a riot. :)