Saturday, July 18, 2009

Looking Back...


Wow - here it is week thirty-eight! Crazy to think we have been doing these weekly updates for thirty-eight weeks! More crazy to think that our little baby is almost nine months old! When did that happen?!? Seriously! He has gotten so big and so independent. It is so fun (and a little sad) to see him change every week. He is a not a little baby anymore! We are so blessed by this little boy!


So, what did week thirty-eight bring? Well, it continued to bring freedom for Hugh since he has gotten so much faster with his crawling. We will be establishing "boundaries" this next week - we needed a couple extra panels on his "penthouse playard" (aka "the cage")...so, we will start it this next week. We are so sure he is just going to love it...right. He loves to explore and we have so much fun playing together. It is crazy to me to see how much independence he desires, but how needy he can be as well and doesn't want to be left alone. We'll play together in the family room and then he'll crawl to the living room - however, the entire time he crawls over to the living room, he stops and looks back to make sure I am still there...so cute. He is not quite ready to leave Mama (we decided that thirty will probably be a good age or one thousand five hundred and sixty weeks). He says "Da Da" all the time...not quite sure he knows what it means, but he reminds me all day that he knows how to say "Da Da"...no worries, Mama is not jealous...not at all. He is starting to clap...again, not sure he knows what it means, but it is cute to watch. He climbed his first step, which was brought on from watching his second cousin, Gracie, who is super mobile - he wanted to be able to show her how skilled he is (I didn't tell him that she can run circles around him). So, still no top teeth...that is all we are going to state about that. He can now sit-up in his crib...so, now we really have no excuse not to lower his crib (I know, I know...we wrote about doing it weeks ago...we have good ideas, we are just lazy). He still hasn't pulled himself up on anything, which is fine by me - the longer he waits, the better. He understands the word "No" - really noticed it this week. He'll stop and consider touching something before he does it...he normally will still do it...clearly, the hand slap is worth it. Also, the hand slap doesn't phase this kid...awesome. He loves to explore, loves to be free...we feel a little bad that we are going to crush all of that next week...just a little bad. It was a great week - lots of love and lots of kisses from our little guy!


And the eating...well, called Dr. P and the nurse said he only needs twenty-seven ounces of fluid a day (whether it be milk or baby food)...and he is getting at least that amount...so, no worries on his intake. Also, I think he is doing a little better on his bottles again. He is a total brand snob - we try the Kirkland brand of formula and he wants Similac, we try to the Walmart brand of yogurt and he wants Yoplait...seriously?!? A brand snob at nine months...awesome. He gets that from Jake. We are still working on his "Honey Bear" - I think I am going to try Jamba Juice (which was a great suggestion)...maybe that will motivate him to suck from the straw. He still will not swallow any chunks of food, but he doesn't seem to be spitting as much...so that has been wonderful! No more getting sprayed with all sorts of goodies (I guess I can no longer use this as an excuse to why I don't shower daily...guess I need to find another excuse). So, instead of spitting, he now shakes his head "no" very vehemently...it is just super. We just know that our future with this boy and food is just going to be great!


We praise God for His incredible faithfulness. He is such an amazing God and we are undeserving of His grace and mercy. I thank Him so much this week for teaching me patience with Hugh. I saw a total heart change in myself when feeding Hugh - God is so good to be so patient with me. We thank you all for your prayers and love!

7 comments:

AprilJ said...

You're setting boundaries the week we come to town?! (kidding) Looking forward to seeing his little 38-wk-old self. He's really getting big :)

MommySecrets said...

I love the upside down picture and the peek-a-boo picture!!

Amy said...

Love that boy, so sweet!

Melissa said...

What a sweet boy! Glad to hear he has stopped spitting his food. :)
I am glad to hear you are setting some boundaries at your house, it will only make him LOVE my "boundary free" house even more, he will be begging to come here! :)
No shout out, that he is loves blondes??

Filleman Family said...

Oh reading your blog on Sundays is a highlight! Always makes me laugh. I love the picture of him looking down the hall - it totally that "must find mommy" expression . . . I know it well :) Seriously - don't set boundaries for the next two weeks - all schedules go out the window for "johnson visits".

Evy said...

He is getting so big! I may have said that when we were at my parents house last week, but if I didnt... wow! Hopefully Landon will be able to be tall too. That is awesome that he is doing well with his feedings. I guess he's just a picky kid. I was kind of picky with food when I was younger. Hope this week brings another good week for you. :)

Cynthia said...

What a cutie! Can't wait to see you all again and give Hubey hugs and kisses! Love you!