Saturday, August 22, 2009

And the Countdown Begins...


Wow, week forty-three (and almost ten months...tomorrow)...we should probably start a countdown...less than ten weeks until Hugh is one year-old...unreal! We were just discussing how much fun this age is...you know, forty-three weeks...such a fun age! He is so active and is showing more and more of his fun, playful (stubborn, sinful) personality...we love it! I know I type it every week, but we are so blessed and each week gets to be more and more fun!


So, what did week forty three bring? Well, it brought LOTS of teeth...three to be exact (yes, those top teeth that I swore I saw a couple weeks ago finally appeared...I swear they were there a couple weeks ago, but they were invisible). So, his top teeth are coming in and he is getting another tooth on the bottom row. It is crazy how the teeth just start popping in all over the place (at least he wasn't actually born with the teeth already poppin' out...that is one of my greatest nightmares...for real...I know, I know...so silly). Overall, I don't think he has been too fussy...just refusing to eat more than usual (so, what else is new?). On the food side, he is getting the ounces he needs...praise God! God is so faithful to hear our prayers. I think he feels heavier and looks chunkier...even think I saw some double chin action this week (but don't tell Hugh, we all know how body conscious he is and would hate to see another hunger strike). So, I am sure he'll be right back on track for his next GI appointment. Again, praise God! We are still working on his super fun play yard...yep, super fun or "rage in the cage" as Jake so affectionately has labeled it. That is all we need to say about all that super fun he is having. We still cannot quite understand how he can be totally fine to hang out in his crib with NONE of his toys for at least thirty minutes, but put him in his super fun play yard with ALL of his toys for thirty seconds and he has a major meltdown...explain that one to us. Anyway, again...enough about the super fun play yard. We finally put away a lot of his baby toys this week and brought out some more "big boy" toys...and his favorite thing is still paper and any random object he can fit into his mouth. He has started to use his walker a little bit (emphasis on little). He has started to be innovative and "create" his own games...like pushing an object with the side of his hand while crawling and trying to chase it (very funny), or pushing things under the couch and trying to get them (you may not think that sounds very entertaining, oh, but it is). He continues to love to explore and gets all sorts of bumps and bruises. We learned this week that Hugh bruises in less than thirty seconds...seriously...gotta love that peaches and cream (aka PALE) complexion. He is still cruising all over the place and we see him get a little more daring everyday. He got to spend some time with some of my family's oldest friends this week and they just loved him...they live in Tucson and he did a perfect imitation of a dying animal on the drive...there and back! He is starting to imitate more and more. He loves toilets (don't we all...you don't realize that until you don't have one)...and we are back to the whole dog reference thing (yes, he still loves shoes). He is getting much better at mastering the stairs...going up; going down is another story. My mom is working on getting him to stand independently...it lasts about two seconds before he falls forward (he gets his creative balance from me). He still LOVES Cheetos and we are working on some other things...he has brought back lots of spitting, which has just been absolutely fantastic...I cannot tell you all how much I enjoy the spitting. Overall, it has been a fun week!


I have been reading a lot of parenting books lately, which have been a huge blessing to me. I am constantly reminded that parenting is not a part-time job...no time to tune out. I have also been reminded that we only get one shot at this...wow, this is a huge deal! We are so thankful (FOREVER AND EVER grateful) for the grace God has given us to parent Hugh...we don't know where we would be without the perfect love of our Saviour. We so desire for our son to know that love so he too can bring glory and honor to the Kingdom of God!


We hope you all are doing well - we thank you for your prayers!

7 comments:

Amy said...

Cutie boy! You are doing great momma. Good job letting him know who's boss :)

Filleman Family said...

dying animal imitation . . . HILARIOUS!! Three teeth in a week - whoa!

Jason and Lisa said...

I love the wording of your posts. Such a cute boy!

AprilJ said...

Sweet Bay Hew. Ragin' in the cage. At least he's only 10 months and doing that.. imagine if he was 4 and you were still dealing with rage in the cage.. then you would have trouble. For now, it's still entertaining :)

Theresa said...

I love that sweet boy! My favorite age for sure!!! So much fun and free entertainment. As Amy said, you are a great Mommy! Enjoy it all, soon he will be 5 and you'll wonder what happened!?

Heidi Marie said...

I am loving your post's Jenn. I would just like to add that the toilet is a favourite in our household as well. And lately my super smart baby proofing trick (closing the door) no longer works because Noah discovered how to open doors. Does this mean that Hugh is moving up in NGM? Will he now be with the 10 month olds!? If so we look forward to seeing him again each week. And I will apologize in advance if Noah takes a liking to him (he is so super cute, who wouldn't?) and squishes him.

Melissa said...

What a sweet boy, 3 teeth! crazy!! Oh you forgot to include how many seconds till he turns one. An oversight I suppose. :)
Love you guys!!