Sunday, August 9, 2009

A Little More Time...


Another week...week forty-one! Can you all believe it?!? Week forty-one...time is really flying by...it is crazy. Again, we thank you all for your prayers...I am feeling 100% again and can finally take care of my son without assistance. It is nice to feel like I can do everything by myself, but we greatly appreciate the support of our family and friends these last two weeks. God has been so good to us to bless us with so many people that care for us and love us.


So, what did week forty-one bring? Well, it brought failure...well, not complete failure...failure with improvement. Yes, Hugh failed his second barium swallow test; however, he is improving and we praise God for his amazing faithfulness. It wasn't exactly what we wanted to hear, but he is getting better...just a lot slower than we would like. Our feeding therapist could tell I was a little bummed at the appointment, but she was her normal cheerleader self and was VERY excited for his improvement...she made me look at it all from another angle. We have two options...vital stim therapy (non-invasive shock therapy) or just waiting it out. We have decided to wait it out since he is showing signs of improvement. There is no guarantee the vital stim therapy will work and it is VERY intense...four days a week for five weeks...that would mean lots of car time and lots of time at PCH...not interested in that. So, he'll get retested in December and we'll go from there. He is still swallowing a few chunks...a couple pieces of chicken, some rice...not enough to take away baby food, but we are so thrilled! And yes, he is still eating Cheetos and he LOVES them...I am assuming my "Mother of the Year" award is in the mail. Don't judge us. We have decided that we just don't have the best eater...he shows us that he will be EXTREMELY slow (we could learn a few things from him because we eat like people are going to steal our food) and a very picky eater. You know what...no big deal. We are always reminded of how small an issue this is when we visit PCH - we praise God for our very healthy son. What else this week? Well, he is starting to show a VERY needy side...I am telling myself it is just a phase and the fact that he needs to be touching one of us every second of the day will pass (or I will go crazy...one will eventually come...trust me). He pulls himself up on EVERYTHING (including the crib and getting way too close to the camera...yikes) - sitting is not good enough any longer, he must be standing and showing us how cool he is. He is slowly starting to move his feet...not cruising yet, but we are sure it will be coming in the next couple weeks. Diaper changes continue to be a full contact sport and he gets pinned...he LOVES it. He is starting to resist the high chair (or any restraints)...awesome. We brought his super fun play yard back out (it had been gone the past two weeks while I recovered)...and he is SUPER excited about it. There is something about boundaries that doesn't make any sense to a nine month old, but makes perfect sense to much older and much wiser Mama. We will continue to work on it...one day he will say, "Can I go play in my cage (oh, I mean my super fun play yard)?" So, we wait patiently for that day. This week has really started to show the need for consistency on discipline (I know some may think that nine months is too early, but we believe it is important to start early and to remain consistent...he gets it...at nine months old)...it is going to be a lot of work. He lost his constant entertainment...he is very sad, but his AK cousins had to go home this week. He really enjoyed them and I think they enjoyed their time with him as well...even if he did ruin a couple tea parties. So, it has been a great week...so much fun!



Again, we thank you all for your prayers. God is so incredibly good to us and we pray we honor Him in all that we do. We desire to see Him glorified in our lives and in EVERYTHING we do. We love you all and hope you all are doing well!

10 comments:

MommySecrets said...

I love the cousins picture!

AprilJ said...

Uh, I'm sorry to break it to you but you're not getting mother of the year. That baby is MINE, ALL MINE (evil laugh). I think my kids would trade just about anything for another tea party with their AZ cousins, Hugh included. We love Hugh. I love that he loves Cheetos. And I love that he flirted with me :)

Melissa said...

Hey you left out that he ate a lot of cookies!! Sugar and Famous Amos, maybe he's not picky just knows what tastes good! :)

Peggy said...

Hi April!
I think you and I are going to have to talk about who Hugh belongs to! Grandparent rights trump all others! HA!
Good to see you guys!
I'm wondering how it is that Hugh gets to eat cookies from his Aunt Melissa but not from his grandma?
Melissa, you're going to have to let me in on that!
The race is on to see if Hugh beats the October 1st deadline imposed by Uncle Daniel to walk. :)

Amy said...

You make me laugh so hard Jenn! Yay for Hugh's improvement...baby steps Mama. :)

Cristina said...

Yeap, baby steps are good. Some races are won not by sprinting but by one step at a time! Keep it up. Praying for you.

Stephanie said...

They are great pictures and love your bolgs.

Mindy said...

I really want to see a picture of the "cage". I have an image in my mind that I am sure can not be accurate.

Theresa said...

OH sweet boy! It's amazing how much God has taught you in less than one year, huh? :) Hugh is precious; I think my boys think so, too!

Brandie said...

Oh MY! How can the weeks have gone by so quickly...I'm several weeks behind.

I think I'd be frustrated too...we are definitely keeping Hugh in our prayers. ((((HUGS)))

I agree that going to PCH is a huge reminder of how much I have to be thankful for. I'm also thankful for YOU!

I've got to get caught up on Hugh...I'm looking forward it!