Saturday, August 15, 2009

Work, work, work...


It is official, time keeps moving and here we are at week forty-two! Sometimes, I feel like time moves incredibly slow, but once the week ends...I realize how quickly the time has flown by. Our little guy is almost a year old...unreal! We are so blessed by this little guy and we are so in love. We think he is just the cutest little guy and he is so sweet. Again, so blessed...we are loving every minute of this parenting adventure!


So, what did week forty-two bring? Well, it brought more drugs...and no, not for me, but for Hugh. He is now on an appetite stimulant drug (Periactin) since he dropped in his growth curve (we asked an appetite depressant drug for me...you know, I eat because my son will not...it has worked out well). We met with Dr. P this past week (GI doctor) and he was not happy with Hugh's progress. Hugh now weighs 19lbs. 4oz. (10%)...we think he is very healthy, but Dr. P is concerned about the drop in his curve. We definitely disagree and I know that a regular pediatrician would not be concerned with this at all. Dr. P's point is that if Hugh continues down this path, he will be in the failure to thrive category in the next couple months. We are doing EVERYTHING we can to get this little guy to eat...seriously. I just think he isn't a big eater and he is VERY active...not the best combo for weight gain. So, we are trying the appetite stimulant drug to see if he will eat more. I asked about side effects and he said it could alter his personality (awesome)...basically, he said it could make Hugh more sleepy...well, he should have lead with that...more sleepy, sign me up! (Kidding) So, we pick up the prescription from the pharmacist and she explains that the drug could have a reverse effect...cranky, irritable, and hyper (sweet). Well, we haven't really seen any effects of the drug...we'll see what happens. Hugh's feeding therapist told us not to worry...just keep on doing what we are doing and work on getting a few more ounces of milk in him a day (yep...already doing that all day!). She explained to me that Hugh just cannot figure out the bottle...he does not latch on...normally, she said that would single low muscle tone (which would be a huge concern), but she said he shows no other signs...so, she thinks he is just stubborn (totally gets that from Jake...not me). So, we continue working on the straw and cup...work, work, work all day long...lots of fun. Okay, no more blah blah blah on the eating issues! He is cruising! He loves to walk around his cube, table, couch...you name it. He is very unstable, but he is having a blast. He has starting jumping in his crib, but he'll stop as soon as you open the door...like he knows he shouldn't be doing it (guess what buddy...we have a camera...always watching). He started climbing one of his toys, but I don't think he is much of a climber...time will tell. He got moved to a big boy car seat (okay, so this happened a couple of weeks ago and I forgot to put it on the blog...yes, I know...I am a terrible mother). He has started a super fun trick...while at the grocery store or in his high chair, he now leans over to the side and likes to watch things drop...it is super fun...especially when he drops my car keys over the edge (and I don't notice). He is getting a lot tougher...doesn't cry every time he bumps his head. He has learned to sign "all done"...unfortunately, he starts the sign as soon as he sits down...just great. He makes us laugh constantly at how he'll crawl thru everything rather than around it...life would be so much simpler for him if he would crawl around things. We are working on the "chase" game with him...he doesn't quite get it and normally will chase after us. He LOVES to explore and gets into EVERYTHING. He ate his first piece of paper...hey, where he can get the fiber, we will take it. He likes to eat shoes...we tell him shoes are for dogs, not for babies...clearly, we have our first pet. He is turning orange...from all the sweet potatoes and peaches (and Cheetos)...oh, well...I guess orange is better than green. He is getting more and more vocal (oh, and he growls...yes, like a dog...again, the whole pet reference makes a lot of sense), which I was reminded of when he started "talking" very loudly in a restaurant and everyone turned to stare at me (nice...I know it won't be the last time). He had his first Otter Pop...Jake gives him EVERYTHING (thank goodness we have one responsible parent in this household). He has brought the spitting back...it is just fantastic. He absolutely LOVES his super fun play yard and wants to be in it ALL the time. (No, it isn't true...however, I tell myself that if I remain delusional long enough then things will become as I imagine.) We are still working a lot on the discipline foundation...wow, parenting is a lot of work. We are having the best time with him...he is so fun! So in love!



Thank you all for your prayers. We would continue to appreciate them...especially with Hugh's weight gain. We'll see Dr. P in another month and hoping for some chunk on this baby. We hope you all are doing well and we pray for you all! We are constantly reminded that God is so good and we are so blessed. We are so thankful for our personal relationships with Jesus Christ...to be honest, nothing else matters.

8 comments:

AprilJ said...

I love the orange nose in the last pic!! And paper eating, if you could just put some mayo on it??? Sweet Bay Hew. Kara put up a picture of him in her room this morning so we've already been talking about him today :) Hugs!

Jason and Lisa said...

Cute pics. Hopefully, the cheetohs and otter pops will help the weight gain. Praying for Hugh.

MommySecrets said...

If you ever video Hugh walking, we'd love to see it. I can't imagine how much he's grown!!

Peggy said...

Hugh is such a charmer! I so love this little guy!!
Otter Pops - hmm - Gramma is DEFINITELY giving him fruit snacks!

Mandy Kershaw said...

When Isaac had dropped to the 3rd percentile at his 15 month appointment, we started adding half & half to his milk and oatmeal. He managed to get back up to the (almost) 10th percentile in three months. He's nearly 22 lbs now. Have the docs put Hugh on any sort of extra calories like that? Sarah has some stuff that she used with Nathan that she could probably give you. She had extra a couple of months back. I'll be praying for little Hugh and that there will be no side effects with the new meds.

The Martins said...

Yep. Empty calories in powder form. I still have it, its yours if you want it.
Have they also suggested any sippy cups that you bite to make the milk come out? I know that the generic Nuby (from walgreens) works like that and the flow is not as fast as Nuby.
Nathan did better with that.

Super cute with the orange nose!

Dos said...

I love your humor through all of this, I can definitely learn from you. I love that you said he's not much of a climber...my bet is by week 50 update you will say he climbs on everything. Just think, Trey was moving his high chair to climb on things at 13 mos. FUN! :)

Dos said...

...there I go again...Dos is Kenny but Amy made the comment :)