Monday, September 7, 2009

First of Many


Here we are...week forty-five! (Yes, a little late...I would never forget the weekly post, but we were out of town until today.) Seriously, he is going to be a year old before we know it. Soon, he won't be our baby...he'll be our big boy (well, he'll always be my baby...yep, I am going to be one of those moms). There are so many things that remind me of when he was an itty bitty, but I am also starting to forget so much...yes, I am that old (thank goodness for this blog). We are so blessed to have the opportunity to shepherd the heart of this little one...thank you, Lord!


So, what did week forty-five bring? Well, it brought Hugh's first camping trip! It will be the first of many...oh, yes...I am quite the camper (anything where you don't have to shower everyday and nobody judges you because of it...sign me up). He had the best time...so many firsts...sleeping in a tent (freezing cold...he doesn't enjoy being cold...and that is why we live in Arizona), eating dirt (and sticks and grass and rocks and pine cones and bugs...yes, I fed them to him...anything for some extra calories), riding on a four wheeler with Papa, making new friends, being mesmerized by fire (awesome), falling in love with Jake's cousin's girlfriend (seriously, he LOVE this girl...he brings on the serious charm...fathers lock up your daughters, Hubey is on the loose), sleeping in a rainstorm, and the list goes on. Overall, he had a wonderful time with our neighbors, friends, and family (and we did as well). Unfortunately, he has come back with a cold from his first camping trip (what a nice parting gift). He is still cruising all around furniture...with no desire to walk (he acts like his legs are broken if you try to get him to stand up...he would much rather be crawling). Another tooth broke thru the skin...so, he is up to six teeth and we think two more will be coming soon. He continues to show his "all boy" side when he laughs every time he farts (probably doesn't help that we laugh too...yes, we are that mature). He has a love affair with his Soothie paci...a very loud love affair (he makes out with the Soothie...we always remind him to "treat her like a lady"). We are trying to limit his paci time...for sleep and car rides only...it doesn't really phase him. We are still working on cage time with no success...don't worry, we are not giving up on boundaries yet. He is still talking his talk all the time and has so many facial expressions...it is so cute. We are still loving every minute with him and excited for each new day!



This week brought another awful fluid week for him...he HATES the bottle. We were stressing on what to do...decided we were going to have a taste test on all the formulas on the market. Thank goodness there are already other heroes (crazies) out there that have done the formula taste test (I was gagging at the thought of the test)...so, the winner is Similac because it has sucrose (sugar) in it. So, we went back to the Cadillac of formulas...liquid Similac. We are thankful that he is taking some fluids (no where near the magic number of twenty-nine he is supposed to be getting...seriously, what baby drinks twenty-nine ounces a day?!?). So, we are supposed to be watching for signs of dehydration. He is eating well and we think he is doing great. We continue to learn that we need to put our trust in God and nothing else. It is so hard some times to not race to call the doctor, but we know that God will grow this baby and He will continue to keep Hugh healthy...a doctor cannot do that for our little guy.


We hope you all are doing well. We pray for you all!

5 comments:

AprilJ said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! Hugh's hair is getting longer..so cute! Will be praying that he gets real thirsty for the bottle this week :) Love you guys.

Melissa said...

I was waiting for this post! :)
I feel like I haven't seen him in a while :(
I am glad you guys had a great time with Jake's family and Brian and Amberlee. :) Your mom was telling me about his drinking this week, I am so sorry. I will be praying for you guys as well.
Great pics, looks like my first born a little bit.. with that orange nose! :)

Amy said...

Yah I was also wondering why the post was late...you could've taken your laptop camping, right? :)
You continue to be an encouragement to me to trust in God through hard things...and you continually make me laugh so hard I might just wet myself one of these days...:) Treating the paci like a lady ranks up there for sure. :)

Filleman Family said...

paci like a lady was my fave in the post too! you crack me up. I also got on yesterday and thought, "where is my Hugh post??" glad to see we didn't miss a week. super fun and adventurous - i don't think I would be brave enough to try to sleep my kids in a tent!!

Brandie said...

I long for the days when I don't have to count ounces. I'm with you, 29 seems like gallons. Abby averages 24, but they want her at 32? Some days she only gets 16 in. She's up and down, up and down but NEVER 34. Sending Hubey (and you and Jake) lots of prayer. I hope the new formula is a hit ---maybe he'll take to a straw cup soon and slurp, slurp, slurp it all down.

The camping pictures were CUTE! What is it about kids who won't eat cookies but buttons (Abby) and dirt (Hubey) instead?