Friday, October 23, 2009

Hoppy Birthday Sweet, Little Monkey!


(Be prepared…this is a very long post with lots of pictures.)

And we have arrived…week fifty-two, one year, twelve months, 8,760 hours, 525,600 minutes, 31,536,000 seconds …crazy! We seriously cannot believe that Hugh is really a year old…well, not technically a year old until 11:47PM. It was a year ago that I was in labor and we were anticipating the arrival of our little baby (we didn’t know the sex)…I spent all day working (actually on conference calls and talking between contractions…it was awesome). As I was working, I remembered what I learned in our childbirth classes…that I should be sleeping in early labor…seriously?!? Who sleeps during early labor?!? Anyway, we were so excited and knew that our lives would change forever…in the most amazing way. Honestly, I never knew being a mother could be such a tough job…I honestly thought that I would be getting a break from the very demanding careers I had had over the last nine years. Well, I was SO wrong…but it is SO worth it. Every sleepless night, every time I got peed on, every time I got vomited on…all so worth it…wouldn’t change anything. God’s creation is so amazing and we look at our little guy with awe everyday. For the millionth time, we are so blessed!





So, obviously this post is going to be a little different and will not be a look back on the week. It is going to be a post of what we have learned over the past fifty-two weeks…I did a similar post in the first couple weeks of Hugh’s life…and now looking back, we have learned A LOT more. So, what have learned? Well, we have learned that we will never get to sleep in again (this is really sad…Jake and I LOVE to sleep). We learned some things are more difficult than they appear. We learned that a breast pump really is a girl’s “breast” friend. We learned that pump pieces can grow mold, which is totally disgusting. We learned that our house can look like a play land so quickly. We learned that in order to leave the house on time we need to start prepping the night before. We (I) learned that showering everyday is a luxury and is not necessary…okay, okay…I have known this one for years. We have learned to trust our gut and to know what is best for our child. We have learned to be an advocate for our son. We have learned that being an advocate doesn’t come cheap. We have learned that he is worth every penny and then some. We learned our son is a total brand snob. We (I) have learned that brown eyes are the best. We learned that straws and chopsticks really are the best toys. We have learned that not everything is a battle, or we would be fighting a war all the time. We have learned that spitting is not “cute”, but growling is. We learned that Soothie pacifiers have some serious bounce. We have learned that we have the most AMAZING family and friends. We learned that he has more clothes (and better clothes) than we do…combined (thank you Johnsons). We learned that our son has a voice (a rather loud voice) from a very young age. We (I) have learned that the “Crazy Train” makes A LOT of stops at our home. We have learned that children don’t come with a manual and just because it worked for so and so, doesn’t mean it will work for us. We learned not to compare our little guy to other babies…life is way too short for all that craziness. We have learned that our son wasn’t born with kneecaps…no one can handle slamming their knees down that hard on tile and concrete and have kneecaps. We have learned that Hugh loves to make a mess…and I have learned to “chillax” over it. We learned that a small item (like a bottle) can cause many sleepless nights and a ridiculous amount of stress. We have learned Hugh is a goat and loves himself some paper. We (I) learned that our son looks good in a dress. We have learned that Hugh hates vegetables, but loves gummy vitamins…so, who cares if he hates vegetables?!? We have learned that he loves the water. We have learned that he LOVES everything to do with being outside, which we LOVE (however, ask me in July how much I love it). We have learned that he can throw a good, dramatic fit…ah, the apple of my eye. We have learned that he stinks (and so does Jake). We have learned that not all babies sleep through the night at twelve weeks or eighteen weeks or forty weeks…whatever, sleep is so overrated. So, I was totally kidding about the dress comment, but Jake (for the last fifty-two weeks) has always read the blog before I posted it to the “world” and I had to get him all crazy (ah, I love you Jake!). We have learned that Hugh has the best laugh ever and the cutest smile. We have learned that his sweet kisses are the best thing ever. We have learned that coming home after work to the biggest smiles and excitement could be the best thing ever. We have learned that snuggle time is the best. We have learned that we love his curiosity…even the love for the toilets. We have learned that he has the most amazing personality. We have learned that the past year has been so awesome and has gone by WAY too fast. We have learned to cherish each moment and to look forward to each new day.





God is amazing…that is what we have learned most of all. We have learned that Hugh is a sinner and in desperate need of a Saviour – just like us. We pray continuously for our little guy and trust in our loving Father. We have been given such an amazing task and we know we cannot do it alone. Lord, we pray we live our lives worthy of the calling we have been given. We pray our desire is to see you glorified…especially in how we parent our son. Thank you for the incredible gift you have given us!





Our dear, sweet Hubey…we love you SO much…more than you will ever know. You, my first born, made me a mother. I dreamed of being a mother from a very young age…and you made all my dreams come true. I knew this day would come…it just came too fast. However, I am so excited to see you get older and watch how God will grow you into an incredible man. You, my sweet, sweet son, will always be my “Baby”…and I’ll be okay if you never move out or find some other woman to love (kidding…I am already praying for your future wife and Daddy is praying for you to move out (kidding)). You will learn that I am totally crazy, but that I love you so much. I hope you enjoyed your fifty-two week blog…don’t worry, it was only available to like six billion people…but really, only five people read it. Don’t worry, not everything is public…our birthday letters are just for you.



Likes sands through the hourglass, so are the weeks of our lives…

11 comments:

Amy said...

What a great job, Jenn! Your note to Hugh made me cry! So glad you learned to chillax :) and I'll have you know that it only took me THREE kids to learn that breast pump suction things can grow mold (did I never notice with the boys? was I feeding them mold?). Super gross! Happy Birthday sweet Hugh! :)

Theresa said...

Oh, so sweet...you killed me friend. So sweet and emotional, but then again I still think my 5 y/o is my baby. Happy Birthday sweet baby boy!

Melissa said...

Oh SO sweet. We LOVE you Cubey! So did it make you cry, writing this post? It makes me tear up reading it. It is hard being a mom, and having to love these babies so much!! :)
I also was telling someone the other day, "I can't believe my baby is going to be six years old.." and they frankly reminded me, "he is not your baby." Right. But it still seems like it! :)

Filleman Family said...

Ugh, sniff sniff. It is a good thing you thru some "chillaxin" and Jake humor in there or I would have really been a mess at the end of this post. We love you Hugh and can't wait to celebrate your precious life today! Happy 1st Birthday buddy.

Aunt April said...

Good job, Momma :) Loved the post. I wish we were able to party down with you guys this weekend... Unfortunately, I was well aware about moldy breast pump parts as well. Super ick. Year one is fast..and they don't slow down one bit. Love you guys.

Cristina said...

Happy birthday Hugh! I alwasy think that the first birthdya is way more about the parents that the kid... it is a total celebration of making it through ant looking back at the chaanges they bring... specially with the first one. Congrats on your first year as parents, God is good.

Cristina said...

Forgot to ask, so now what? Monthly posts? Oh, and I was glad to finally see a picture of mama on the blog and not just baby, although those are really cute.

Jen said...

What a great post, so sweet! I love the goat comment! ;)
Happy birthday Hugh!!! You are such a sweetie pie, I'm so glad you are in the crawler room with us for a couple months. :)

Mindy said...

This is a great post and perfect to wrap the year up. (Also, I see more than 5 comments on here.) :)

Not only have you created a wonderful gift for Hugh, but it is a great reference manual for me. (Mold, La Leche League, nipple infections, spit, poop, pee... you have prepared me for it all.)

I am very happy for you and your family.

Jason and Lisa said...

Happy birthday! What a great post. Mold, super gross!

Heidi Marie said...

Such a sweet boy, and such a sweet birthday post. Thank you Jenn for sharing your first year of being a Mom with us! I have learnt much, things like what booty is, not to stress over the little things, that boys have fascinations with toilets (thank goodness mine is not the only one), and that being a Mom is the greatest gift. Happy Birthday Hugh!