Monday, September 13, 2010

Figuring it Out...


Seriously, week three…the weeks are flying! Now, two to five the other morning did not fly, but those nights are still fun…not really. I remember those nights with Hugh…the ones that lasted forever, but clearly they ended…and we all survived. Judah is getting so much bigger – really starting to fill out. It is crazy how quickly they get big and lose the newborn look.


So, what did week three bring for Judah? Well, it brought nicknames. We are HUGE on nicknames…Hugh probably has at least ten to fifteen different nicknames (lucky him). So, originally we were going to call Judah, “Little Lion”…but, I struggle with “lion”, like I am calling him a liar…I know it is silly, but right now I don’t like it. So, we have been calling him Judah Bear, J-Man, J, JJ (which I should mention was my work name in college…I worked at Macaroni Grill (not some other place you all maybe were thinking!)…you had to write your name on the table…upside down and backwards…I needed an easy name). We’ll eventually figure out the nickname that sticks, or multiple nicknames that stick. His first meds came this week. We decided to go ahead and put him on Zantac since we had a couple of bad nights and I don’t like to see my baby in pain. So, we found out that he gained almost two pounds in ten days (he now weighs 8lbs. 6oz.)…what a champ…found out this is not such a good thing. I got a serious lecture from the doctor about overfeeding him…he is gaining double the average. I explained to her that he was hungry and he was eating to cover the pain of the reflux. She explained to me that his little stomach cannot hold all the milk we give him (explains the vomit sessions) and that we need to give him smaller feeds. I explained that I believed breastfed babies couldn’t overeat, which she explained was true…however, Judah is not a breastfed baby…he is a bottle fed baby with breast milk…big difference and he can overeat. Whatever, whatever…semantics. So, we tried the smaller feeds…he was hungry…so, we aren’t going to worry about it. He is eating less than he was before, but if he is supposed to be our big baby than so be it and we are going to let him eat…now, if you see me hand him a basket of KFC chicken when he is two, we’ll know we made a mistake, but for now…no worries on his weight gain. Seriously, we can’t win…we have one son who we would get yelled at for not gaining enough weight and another one for gaining too much weight! I think the combo of the less food and the Zantac is working…he seems to be fairly mellow. I also probably need to watch what I eat since it is all passed to him…I am really bad at this…I just eat whatever I want. He also seems to do well with the pacifier…love the pacifier. We remind him to treat her like a lady just as with did with Hubey. Now as we approach three weeks, I think we’ll start seeing some more personality…this is the start of the possible dreaded colic time…praying for a chill baby. He seems to go with the flow as of now and I think he has to being the second born…you don’t pick them up every time they make a sound, you don’t spend every waking moment trying to figure out how to make them happy, you realize they can sleep without you holding them (even though, you swore your first born could not do this), and the list goes on. He enjoyed meeting Uncle Jared and looks forward to meeting the rest of the fam. He enjoyed his first women’s retreat at church and did well…except for the middle of the night when he wanted to stare deeply into his Mama’s eyes and ponder life…it was awesome. He still has his super cute sleep (gas…whatever) smiles and then normally goes into a “Blue Steel” face (his uncle Clayton would be so proud). He is still little and figuring out life…we love to watch him grow and figure out life with him. God has blessed us so much with this little boy.


Well, of course I have to update everyone on the pumping/bfing (breastfeeding…I am so hip) saga. Yep, still exclusively pumping and becoming Bessie at Shamrock Farms…my milk supply has no problems…at all (but still taking Fenugreek because I love the smell of maple syrup…yummy). I had a breakthrough and realized that I am scared.to.death. to breastfeed…so scared. You see, I like to do things that I am good at doing…and bfing…I am no good. I am just really scared…I have been really praying about it and know God is faithful. I am hoping to try in the next couple weeks. However, right now Judah is getting fed and that is all that matters. So, this saga won’t go on forever…however, I know you all would miss reading about it. I still feel good…still waiting for a bruised tailbone to heal, but other than that everything is good. And working out…still not happening…just doesn’t sound appealing…at all. Glad I got a very large size for my bridesmaid’s dress. Oh, and I am tired…big shock there.


Thanks for your prayers. We are thankful we serve a loving God when we are so undeserving. God is so faithful and we can do nothing apart from him. Stay tuned for an all about Hubey post in the next couple of days…yes, I still have love for my big boy!

8 comments:

Amy said...

Judah, you are so handsome! Love you sweet boy...and you keep eating as much as you want...crazy doctors! :)

Filleman Family said...

very happy to log some time with that sweet baby at the retreat - when I don't get beat out by auntie of course:) ! he is a precious boy - we love him.

AprilJ said...

When Judah makes his blue steel face, he must think he's looking in a mirror like his uncle... As for being a terrible breastfeeder, I am right there with you. It wasn't ever going to be a sweet, bonding, goo-goo, gaa-gaa time for me. The food is getting in the belly. Mission accomplished.

The Martins said...

Wow, Jake, you have changed so much. you almost look like a different person.

:)

Krista said...

Soooo handsome!! And yes. . I agree with Amy, don't worry about the weight. Sean was the fatest baby ever and our doc always said no problem. He is still slimming out, but you are not feeding him McDonalds for heavens sake! You have a beautiful family!

Melissa said...

Yes crazy doctors! Sweet boy! Something is different about him, then Hugh, I think his twin look is changing :)

Jason and Lisa said...

What a sweet baby. :>) I agree with others...his eating is fine. Grant ate a lot and is heavy but he is very healthy and very proportionate. The doc has never been concerned...we also never were given a guideline of how much was too much/enough/etc. We were told the baby will let us know...hmm, not sure about that. I'm sure you are doing a great job.

Theresa said...

Judah is so precious! So glad for you to join the two boy club! Very fun days ahead!! :)