Monday, December 13, 2010

More of the Same...


Yep, more of the same…still crying during every nap at week sixteen. He had a couple of good days and we were hoping (and hoping) he was going to turn a corner, but he hasn’t…and he is still crying during every nap. It is sad and me (being the person that has to have a reason for everything) is determined to fix the problem. Looks like week seventeen could be a week of serious sleep training (have some ideas). Yes, I know he is not even four months yet, but this just doesn’t seem right to us (emphasis on “us”…may seem right to everyone else, but now us). So, we will work on the nap training…with lots of love. He is a great night sleeper still, which is a huge praise…just got to work on the naps. Besides the non-napping baby, Judah is great – sweet, sweet, sweet. We love this little boy so much and cannot imagine our family without him!


So, what did week sixteen bring? Well, obviously it continued to bring no solid naps…all cat naps (as stated above, we are working on getting past this). We have decided to eliminate the swing during naps because of the sleep training…that swing has been a good friend to us all (love our neighbors for letting us use it). He is really trying to move – he turns himself all over the place and wants to roll from his back to stomach so bad (think the first time he did it a couple of months ago was a fluke (or his big “helpful” brother did it for him) because it has never happened again). Not sure why he wants to roll over so badly since he doesn’t really enjoy his tummy time. Honestly, I think he just wants to be able to do more…sitting up would be great for him, but we still have a couple of months before we see any consistent sitting up. He does love the Bumbo though…change of scenery for him…one can only stare at ceilings for so long even if there is a moving fan. He is really trying to grab at objects more and it's only a matter of time before he starts going after the “community” toys (in Hubey’s world, those would be HIS toys)…Hugh may not think Judah is so great after that! He took his first bath with his big brother…think we have a definite shower baby on our hands, didn’t really love the bath like his big brother. We cannot believe we could have a rice cereal eater next week…not sure if we are going to start him yet, but we could if wanted…well, technically we could have already started him (because he is our baby and we can do what we want with him). He does stare at our food while we are eating…maybe it is a sign?!? He HATES his Prevacid…sigh…but we’ll keep giving it to him. I really started feeling this week like he wasn’t really wanting to be a “baby” anymore…clearly, he is still a baby, but you can already see him fighting for some independence (like is his brilliant choice not to nap). We have pretty much completely given up on the pacifier…guess he is not a Johnson baby (no oral fixation)…but he does LOVE his hands. I give him daily lessons on trying to figure out sucking on his thumb…as in I try to place it in his mouth for him…no, I don’t suck my thumb. He is such a wiggle worm…definitely don’t have a chill baby…so sad, why doesn’t the stork ever drop off a chill baby at our house? Why do we have to get all the “active” babies? Kidding, we love our active babies…but a chill baby would be nice…for sure. He is getting big and it is all happening too fast; this baby stage goes by so quickly. So, here is hoping to a more restful week…hoped for last week, but it didn’t get delivered…will not stop hoping (and praying)!


Thanks to you all for your prayers. I know God has calmed my heart this last week with patience and grace for a non-napping child. I still have a VERY long way to go and I continue to realize that I need to trust in God first before anything else. I am a firm believer that outside resources can always help, but just need to make sure my heart is always in the right place. God knows exactly what I need and when I need it…and what I need is to trust in Him. I am thankful for His incredible patience and grace…I wish I just had an ounce of it!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I love figuring out sleep dilemmas so feel free to ask me anytime...I have been called the sleep Nazi and I wear that badge with pride :). j/k/...I'll be praying for you!

AprilJ said...

Ha ha. I am a sleep nazi as well and I, too, have no shame about that. This WILL pass. Love to the Saylors!