Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Happy Birthday Judah Bear!


365 days, fifty-two weeks, twelve months, one year…a little hard to believe that time has passed, but it has and I knew we would be here one day. Unfortunately, I have a terrible memory…hence the weekly posts, but I have so many fond memories looking back…




My sweet, sweet boy…oh, how we prayed for you and how others prayed for you. God brought us through a valley to bring us up a hill…to see His glory. Our God is so good…in plenty and in want, we pray sweet boy that in God’s grace, He shows you His incredible goodness and faithfulness. He is oh so faithful…even in my faithlessness. As you’ll learn, Mama is a little bit crazy (but a lot good…remember that part)…I remember seeing Dr. M and wanting to know why I wasn’t getting pregnant and I remember him saying after taking blood, “Just watch, you’ll be pregnant and you can quit worrying about it.” Sure enough, I was pregnant. We were so excited…scared, but so excited. You were good to me from the beginning…you helped me lose ten pounds in less than two months (you were better than the swine flu). Yep, I was sick as a dog…you just waited to chase food out of me any chance you got…so, I swore you were a girl. I mean I knew you were a girl with everything in me. I had dreams about you being a girl and I was stressed out about you being a girl (yep, insert crazy Mama here)…you see, we had bunk beds and you would be sharing a room at some point and I would try to think of ways to make the room more girly…it would stress me out. My labor with you was great (long night, but not too bad) – two pushes and you were out. Your Dada, two of your wonderful aunts (who got no sleep…Mama had them come to the hospital a little too early…Aunt Cindy was asked to sit down during the labor…too funny), and the Mr. Purple Peanut got to welcome you into this world…along with our midwife and several nurses…it isn’t a party unless there are lots of peeps. And your Dada let me know you were ALL BOY…yep, ALL BOY! I was thrilled…God had blessed us with exactly what we needed…a beautiful, healthy boy! (I could stop stressing out about the room…yep, crazy Mama.) It is crazy to look back and see God’s blessing (you) upon us. You are so sweet and we love you and you have taught us so much…




We learned that babies can be textbook and sleep like twenty-two hours a day (praise the Lord!). We learned that babies can go right back to sleep in the night…you just need to leave them there and walk out. We learned that I am a quitter…and I will always be for sanity. We learned that I can pump a ridiculous amount of milk…put Shamrock to shame. We learned that newborns can overeat…like six times the size of their stomach overeat and gain two pounds in ten days (yep, an overachiever in family…we’ve been waiting for one). We learned that I can go even longer between showers…insert happy husband here. We learned that not all babies like pacifiers…no matter how many times your try…over and over and over… We learned that we HATE Dr. Brown bottles, but we are so sucked in...sigh. We learned there is no such thing as a “miracle” blanket, but there is such thing as a “miracle” swing…hello six hour naps! We learned that babies can fall out of their “miracle” swings…and amazing Mamas may not notice…sigh. We learned that “miracle” swings cause flat heads which lead to awesome helmets. We learned that even when a baby screams when he is on his tummy, it is still a good idea to leave him there. We learned that we could think of lots of inappropriate sayings for the awesome helmet and very few church appropriate sayings…we’ll lose our twelve-year-old boy minds soon enough. We learned that something may seem like it is going to be horrible, but babies are so resilient and nothing seems to bother them. We learned that Judah can totally rock a helmet…such a handsome guy. We learned that sometimes babies lose their rockstar sleep habits…sigh. We learned that sleep training is about as much fun as shoving knives into your eyes. We learned that sleep training will end, but it does feel like an eternity.



We learned that playing in pee won’t kill you…and getting peed on won’t kill you either (I should know because I get peed on almost everyday)…Judah has a thing for pee, what can I say…it could be worse. We learned that Judah has a passion for milk (a gross amount of milk). We learned that Mama continues in her crazy with the extensive research on organic vs. non-organic milk (still researching). We have learned that Judah has some fire in him, and I pray that passion grows for God’s Kingdom in mighty ways….I pray God gives me the patience to cultivate that in him. I learned that Judah likes to break necklaces…even my necklace from my wedding…insert sad face. We learned Judah has some of the best facial expressions and is over the top excited when Dada gets home from work (Mama plays a distant second). We have learned that you can pound on EVERYTHING and with EVERYTHING. We learned that food is overrated in Judah’s world, and man can live alone on milk, ice cream, and cheese puffs. We learned that Judah was able to grasp the “you are so dumb” look from a young age…I am so proud. We learned that stuffed animals can truly be violated and it ain't pretty. We learned that Judah is one happy guy and is willing to get in the thick of things. It took some time, but we learned Judah does like people and actually likes to play with others…but his best-friends are his Dada and Hubey. We learned Judah can be quite the scrapper and is willing to fight for what he decides is his. We have learned that he loves the water and we pray (pray, pray, pray) this continues. We have learned that he has the sweetest smiles and the best laughs. I have learned I could rock this boy to sleep for hours each night…and still do sometimes (yes, I do and proud of it…there is NOTHING like a sleeping baby in your arms). We have learned that God is so faithful, so incredibly faithful. We have learned that God could not have blessed us with a better fourth member of our family…we love you Judah Bear!



My baby, my sweet baby…I tear up every time I think about you growing up…of course, I see some hussy stealing you away from me (no she didn’t)! We prayed, prayed, prayed for you…and I went crazy waiting for you. You, my sweet boy, make me a better mother…you and your brother make me want to be a better mother. You have shown me my incredible selfishness, and I praise God for sanctification. I pray I will be a better mom to you everyday…be patient with me. I pray God shows you His incredible grace and grabs a hold of you from a young age. You are an amazing little boy and I cannot wait for all the world to know it. We love you…more than you’ll ever know. “Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.”


And that, is a wrap.

4 comments:

Cynthia said...

What a sweet, heartfelt post, sister. I love you and your family so much. Thank you for the opportunity to be a part of Judah's debut into the world. xoxoxo

Amy said...

Happy Birthday Judah! That sweet face lights up any room you are in! <3

Heidi said...

Thank you Jenn for sharing your sweet Judah with us this past year. Love that he is a scrapper, those second born are amazingly resilient. And that he still loves being rocked to sleep. Time for another then....

Clayton said...

Well done. 52 posts without skipping a one. It was a fast year on this end. Glad we got to hang out with him before he was 1 :)