Saturday, April 7, 2012

Flying Solo...


Flying solo and survival…definitely the themes for week four. Jake left for eight days last Friday and returned this past Friday. Honestly, I was scared to death before he left thinking those eight days would be the longest eight days of my life…and it really wasn’t that bad. I have LOTS of support – wonderful family, friends, and neighbors…so, it makes it so much easier. The big boys stayed with each set of grandparents for a night, so that was very nice for me…I love all my boys, but a girl doesn’t mind a break every now and then. The hardest parts of the day are always the same…meals and bedtime…those are hard with or without Jake. I learned a little bit of coffee goes a long way and I really can survive on a total of five hours of sleep a day and actually really function on it (I never thought this was possible…I love me some sleep, but I am really doing it this time…go me). So, we all survived (thankful for processed foods and TV) and we are SO glad to have Daddy home!


So, what did week four bring for Sam? Well, it brought A LOT of time with Mama…we are attached to each other. And he LOVES his Mama…like really (really) (really) loves his Mama. I only have such a short period with them…I know he’ll go to the other (Daddy) side before I know it…I lost Judah before he was even a year…hoping Sam stays with me longer! I need to be more fun. I swear he is smiling at me…or at least really trying. He has also started cooing, which is so cute…he has lots to say. He definitely has his fussy time at night (even his love for Mama cannot take that time away from him)…I am guessing it is because he is a baby and gets fussy, not because he has tummy issues, but we’ll see. I am going to start him on probiotics this next week and I am going to start taking them as well…I figure it cannot hurt. We go to a very conservative pediatrician now and they don’t hand out reflux meds like candy…bummer (not that we want to use meds…but we are always willing if they help…we are pro meds over here). I know the fussy period will just be a phase, but it is hard at times. He gets into such a frenzy and I have sat trying to nurse him for like hours and it is terrible…I am sure he is thinking, “Lady, get that boob out of my face already!” So, we wait patiently…patience is NOT my middle name. He seems to love the pacifier and we are already playing the “drop the pacifier” game, which I HATE. It is the curse of the pacifier, but there are also so many blessings to the pacifier. Judah dropped the pacifier about this time, so we’ll see if Sam keeps it…I am pro pacifier even with the fun game. He passed his hearing test (since he was born at the birthing center, he didn’t get a hearing test)…passed in like five minutes…glad I spent forty-five minutes driving to the appointment.


He seems to not enjoy tummy time or his time on the play mat. Call him crazy, but he likes to be held…he knows what is up. He actually seems to get irritated if I do something while holding him (like trying to play (actually get beat) Scramble on the iPhone…that game is like crack for me…just what I needed). He has been going to work with me (yes, I am still working…no maternity leave this time…too hard when you work for a small company…and I know my mom is horrified at the thought of being with all three…so, he comes with me…and he gets to nurse in the car…classy…but it is better than a bathroom). And the very sad news for the week, the magic swing broke…our wonderful neighbors gave us the magic swing with Hugh and he started napping…it was heaven…and Judah would take like seven hour naps in it..and now seven plus years later (they used the magic swing with their two kids) it has died. Very sad day in the Saylor house. So, of course I found a fix on the internet (because I can find anything with Google)…Jake is really trying to branch out and fix it…I’ll update next week if my MacGuyver husband was able to fix it (keep your fingers crossed). So, we have our other swing back and Sam doesn’t love it as much, but we are going to REALLY work on it. Yes, all my boys sleep in the swing in the day and the crib at night and no, I don’t know why they can’t sleep in the crib during the day, but they really can’t…and I can’t let them cry it out yet. He has been napping in the Moby in the last two days while we were swingless…now that is a habit I probably don’t want to start. He still seems to be on a two and half to three hour schedule…would love to get to that four hour schedule…again, patience is not my middle name. Overall, he is doing really well and I am really enjoying him…fussiness and all.


Well, it wouldn’t be my blog without a bfing update. So, we are exclusively bfing…it has been almost two weeks since he touched a bottle (I am sure that will backfire horribly on me…ugh). And, I put away the pump this week…I will actually go places without my pump. Okay, that is a huge deal for me. With my first two boys, my pump was another child…it went everywhere with me. The thought of not having my pump with me would be horrifying. But bfing seems to be going well this time around…except for my OCD about not knowing how much he is getting or wondering if my milk supply is going to dry up (yes, I have some crazy…you all already knew this). I have to admit it is nice not washing bottles and pump parts all.the.time. (Well, we still wash bottles...nineteen months is too young to drop a bottle...I don't care what the experts say.) My milk supply did regulate this week, which was nice…but it is just so different than pumping (where you ALWAYS feel engorged…and I have learned that isn’t the norm with bfing…I have also learned that you can shower and water can touch your boobs and you won’t start crying). I am relaxing over the supply issue…I know I got the milk! And, I am trying not to freak about how much he is eating. Unfortunately, Sam is a bit of a lazy eater and tends to fall asleep while eating. I am sure I am creating a total snack feeder…fantastic…remind of what a terrible idea this was when I am still nursing him in the middle of the night when he is nine months old! So, this week we are really going to work on the full feeding! There is still definitely no love affair with bfing and sometimes it all seems a little weird to me, but I am praying I learn to enjoy it. There is still no way I can nurse without my “brest friend” and I am sure the day I nurse in a public place will be the day every person in that public place will get to see my boobs. I have learned through all of this that my strength really does come from the Lord…not from sleep, my husband, the internet, etc. He sustains in everything…praise God!


(It is hard to bust out a camera and take care of three kids...just sayin'.)

No comments: