Sunday, April 15, 2012

Schedules...


Five weeks! Yes, five weeks and still surviving…all of us. And, Sam seems to be adjusting to our family well…all the crazy noise and everything. He seems like he would prefer a quieter environment…oh, well…not going to happen. Sorry my son, but when you are number three of three boys, there is no such thing as quiet…ever. Sometimes I wonder if there will ever be quiet again…I know there will be and I’ll miss the yelling, the crying, the constant questions, the whining (oh wait…I will never miss that), and the fighting (oh, nope won’t miss that one either). Life is crazy…as always!


So, what did week five bring for Sam? It brought his first Easter! He did really well going ALL over the Valley…seriously, we drove from one side to the total other side. I had got him a super cute tie to match his brothers…but could never find a shirt to go with it, so he wore a different outfit. (I also never got a picture of the boys in their super cute ties…terrible mother…they became total pig pens…so, no pics…ugh…lesson learned – always get pics before candy.) He got his first set of shots (catch-up since we didn’t vaccinate at birth…I know, we are such rebels)…he cried for like thirty seconds…total champ. Our doctor said, “You’ll probably want to nurse him after his shots.”…ah, no…I had all three boys with me in the office the size of a bathroom. Judah and Hugh were getting stir crazy…and I am going to sit and nurse…I don’t think so my friend…get me out of there…sorry Sam. Sam is now 8lbs. 7oz. and 21in…so, he is doing awesome with his weight gain and I can stop freaking out about my supply (not going to happen…but I am doing much better this week). He is doing great. And, still no reflux meds. He definitely has reflux…spits up a ton and you can see it with him (the spit up going up and then back down), but I don’t really think it causes him pain, but we’ll continue to watch him. He had his first full vomit session…this is a norm among our boys and it is disgusting. This was a tougher week for me…I'm really starting to worry about getting on a decent schedule and may have taken a visit to Crazy Town. While nursing, I spend time reading blogs…have been reading one about Babywise. And I started feeling like a failure for the eight hundred “sleep props” we use to get Sam to sleep…he is just like our other boys…naps in the swing and sleeps in the crib at night. It works for us, but then I started thinking maybe he would be a better sleeper if I just bit the bullet and started napping him in the crib now…but I can’t handle crying it out…especially right now. We are a “cry it out” family…but not at five weeks….or six weeks…or seven weeks…just can’t do it. So, I stopped reading that Babywise blog and started reading Dr. Sears and I felt much better about myself and my parenting…always go to Dr. Sears when I am wondering…am I rocking him too long? Is nursing him to sleep really that bad? Dancing all around the room trying to get him to sleep is normal…right? Yep, just read Dr. Sears and I feel like I made it…stay away from Babywise. (Side note…we are scheduled parents…we just are very lax about it…do we have the best sleepers…nope, but that is okay.) However, I do think we’ll try to break the swing a little earlier with him.


He still eats about every three hours and pulls a little longer at night…wishing he would pull even a little longer at night…we’ll get there…I know that. He is a lazy eater and sometimes will only eat for like three minutes at night…no joke…three minutes. Want to do something that will drive me crazy in the middle night…wake me up to nurse and only eat for three minutes! He seems to only enjoy nursing to eat (he is not a lover of nursing either…once again, not a boob man)…not a special bonding time with Mama…I feel you buddy. So, still no love affair with nursing…honestly, not sure we’ll ever get there. I actually nursed in a public place with no pillow…and yep, bad as I thought it would be…well, not that bad…but not a full feeding (we are still working on the full feedings)…I like my pillow. He still definitely has his fussy period at night, but we are starting to lay him down earlier to help deal with it…this boy gets easily overstimulated, which I am learning during the day for naps…surprised at why he gets so overstimulated…the constant TV blaring, the boys screaming…I wonder what it could be? He LOVES the shower with Daddy and it will ALWAYS calm him down (I told Jake the other night that they should just hang out in there for a few hours every night.) He still reminds me of Hugh by being WIDE awake and struggling to sleep. He loves to be held…especially by his Mama. He still enjoys the time in the Moby – unfortunately, my back and neck hate it…another reason why I heart the Ergo. I swear he smiles at me. He is becoming more interested in his brothers…probably more out of fear (I don’t blame him). He still seems to love his paci…and yes, I am pushing it (another sleep prop…love it). Everyone keeps telling me that he looks just like me, but he totally has Jake’s hairline…the widows peak or island in the sun as Jake likes to call it…so, does that mean I am balding as well? Judah has given him the nickname “Shammy” and I think it may stick. It was a tough week, but a good week…always good weeks.


So, I am constantly learning and this week was no different. I may have taken the bus to Crazy Town, but I learned on that bus…I learned that babies are there to be loved and cared for, not always figured out…and God places them in my life to sanctify me; schedules will happen…in time (I should know this after three children.); keeping a clean house with three children is actually impossible…seriously; and the thought of working out is frightening...however, I am wearing workout pants and as G.I. Joe would say, “That is half the battle.” Even with the trip to Crazy Town, I am enjoying this little guy so much! Sometimes it is just hard to get pulled in a million directions and feel like you always have a million things to do…I’ll figure it out and I know (one day) I am going to miss this craziness!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh Sammy! You are such a cutie...

I have never read so many books on getting babies to sleep then when I was sleep deprived and exhausted with a newborn. Desperate times call for desperate measures! Pacis, swings, sound machines, swaddlers, no swaddlers, lights on, lights off, etc. All sound good to me if they mean sleep! Hopefully your sweet little boy will start giving you a good stretch of sleep..seriously Sammy you will feel all the better for it!

Cynthia said...

Great post in how you are learning that you don't have to get everything done, just enjoy the ride with your little ones. Love the pics - especially of the three boys together. We love you xoxo

DeeBoyzMomma said...

Adorable pic of the three of them. They are absolutely beautiful.