Sunday, May 6, 2012

Growing...

Our little Sammy is eight weeks! Hard to believe he has been with our family for almost two months. I love seeing our three boys together – hard to believe I am a Mama to THREE boys, but honestly, it was what I always envisioned (however, a little girl would be so fun…maybe one day). I pray for these boys – to have a passion for the Lord and to love one another – to do awesome works for the Kingdom together. Before I know it, Sammy will be running around with his big brothers (and driving them crazy)!
So, what did week eight bring for Sam? Well, I am thinking it brought a growth spurt since it seems like he wants to eat all the time. I really felt like last week we started getting into a better routine and then week eight hit and forget about it. Sam likes to be awake in the mornings…at least this week he did. Honestly, I had a bit of breakdown with it all…I just want him to fit into this perfect little schedule box and he doesn’t fit into it…ugh. My sleep deprivation seems to hit every third day and I am guessing my breakdown was on one of those third days. So, we threw the schedule out the window…and guess what, we all survived. Sam is fairly happy guy – especially in the day. So, he’ll just chill (unlike his Mama) even when I don’t think he gets enough sleep. He likes to hang out on his mat and try to survive the torturing from his big brothers, and just kick around. He has been doing fairly well with tummy time and he rolled from his tummy to his back this week…so much for tummy time now. Hoping for a round headed child. He continues to LOVE (love/hate…whatever) his Woombie! I still think it helps him sleep…more so at night. And, I would be fine to stop using it, but his startle reflex is still so strong that I would prefer to not have him wake me up every forty-five minutes at night.
He weighs 9lbs. 10oz. now – big boy…and then I read that babies really need to weigh close to 12lbs. before they start sleeping through the night…oh well, cheers to late night nursing sessions. That is what I get for smaller babies. I have realized we just don’t make chunky babies (but we do make chunky adults) – all the zero to three month clothes look enormous on him still. We’ll continue to work on the sleeping thing – I feel like that is a forever thing with my boys. And the swing is definitely not magic – however, he did sleep a super long time in it this week, which was fantastic (and yes, we are so not Babywise…I cannot wake up a sleeping baby…I don’t care if it has been three hours since he last ate, and yes, I know it will take him longer to sleep through the night…just remind me of all of this when I am whining about him waking in the night). He stopped going to work with me…so, my mom braved the three kids and he had a bottle and LOVED it – downed 4oz. in about five minutes. He appreciates a fast flow. So, of course my crazy set in (I swear this was on the third day of sleep deprivation)…and I broke down with Jake (after a bad nursing session) swearing that now he only wanted bottles and I was heartbroken (mind you, I still don’t really enjoy nursing) and that I couldn’t pump this time around. Ah, I love my dramatic flair. He is fine with nursing, but really there is no love affair and there are times when he nurses terrible. The last session at night is so bad – it is like nursing an octopus. Overall, it is going fine – and he is growing so I don’t worry about it, but I will have NO problem giving it up…that is for sure. I still use my pillow for EVERY.SINGLE.NURSING.SESSION…yep, every single one. I am really going to try and wean myself from the pillow soon, but I honestly I cannot figure out how to nurse him without it. Obviously, I know it is possible and more normal, but I just wonder if I’ll grow another set of arms out of my stomach to help me in the process…you never know. And again, I love my dramatic flair. He is getting more expressive and LOVES to stare at his big brothers to get them to notice him. He still LOVES his Mama. He is really starting to notice his toys on the mat more – think it may be time to bust out the toys (which will become more toys for the big boys and it will drive me crazy because I already hear myself saying a thousand times a day, “That is Sammy’s toy. Put it down.”). He holds his head up so well during tummy time – getting so strong. He LOVES fans – could stare at them all day…ah, the simple things in life…wish life was always so simple. We didn’t venture out this week for any big outings…I thought about it and that counts for something, but he did get to go to his brother’s swim lessons…and sweat like a little piglet…poor buddy. Maybe we’ll venture out this week…maybe.
Another week down! Hoping for some type of sleeping schedule this week…maybe just a little more daytime sleep…a girl can hope. I have even thought about letting him cry a little…like more than three minutes, which is pretty much my limit right now. Ugh, if he wasn’t so cute. I love this little boy to pieces…sometimes, I can actually start crying when I think of how incredibly blessed I am – I have an amazing husband and three amazing little boys…God has shown His incredible favor on me and I don’t know why, but I praise Him for it. Cheers to another week!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh wow. Two months old already! Cuteness, that is all he is.

As for the baby toy dilemma I am starting to see that in our house. I have just washed all of the new baby's toys and there was so much drama and fighting over which soft, pull toy the two older's could play with! Yikes.

Hoping for a week with more sleep....

DeeBoyzMomma said...

Love these posts Jenn. He's so adorable.