Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

(It should be noted that this post was ready on Sunday - I had no idea blogger didn't post it...Sammy, I would never forget about you!)
Sammalamb is nine weeks! Nine weeks…two months! Hard to believe it has been two months since this baby boy blessed our family. He is such a sweet baby…seriously. He is turning into a very low key little guy who goes with the flow…which we all know I need for my third baby. Now, that doesn’t mean he sleeps all day (that is for sure)…but he is a happy guy most of the time. We love love love this little boy. I could stare him all day and the big boys love on him so much. We are so blessed!
So, what did week nine bring for Sam? Well, it brought his two month well visit…so, his first big round of shots. I swear that the number of shots my boys get has doubled for each time – no joke, he got like five shots and one oral vaccine…yikes. So, bring on the whooping cough, measles, typhoid…Sam is covered…kidding…I don’t really want any of those things, but he is covered. He now weighs a little over 10lbs. (15%) and is 22.25in. (25%). So, I’ll be honest – I saw the 15% for weight and I started having a panic attack…that is small. So, I spoke with the doctor about it and she said it is where he started, so he is right on track – the other boys were 12lbs. at two months. So, I am trying not to stress over it and not allow my subconscious to tell me that I am failing at breastfeeding – he is growing…almost three and half pounds since he was born…not too shabby…but that darn 15%...sure wish I could claim that I was in the 15%. I am sure if he was a girl I wouldn’t even be thinking about it (I know…terrible…just being honest). The doctor reminded me that head growth is the main factor for everything and he looks good. So, no stress (deep breaths). Overall, he is doing great and we are so thankful for a healthy baby. So, Sam got to experience the Ergo this week…ah, the amazing Ergo (love affair with the Ergo). He did great for the most part, but he did not enjoy being kicked or hit in the head about 100 times from his older brothers as I was trying to wrangle them. Let’s just say that I am not ready for a solo trip to the Children’s Museum – no, I am not. He enjoys his mobile – however, it does not lull him to sleep…not.one.little.bit. He continues to remind me of Hugh with his lack of daytime sleeping and how he’ll pump his legs like he is charging himself…yikes. He’ll still start most naps in the crib, but he will not last more than an hour in the crib for naps…that is the limit most times. So, then he’ll either get up or I’ll put him in the swing and he is hit or miss with more napping in the swing. Honestly, the short times in between feedings doesn’t really bother me – he is normally happy and is so sweet. Of course, I always think in the back of my head that he must not be getting a full feeding that is why he waking up…you know what, maybe he isn’t and guess what…who cares?!? I do the best I can at making sure he eats as much as he can, but what I have learned very well over the last three plus years is you CANNOT force a child to eat…when they are done, they are done. Sam fits that very well – when he is done, he is done…end of story. He does well at night for the most part – seems to be giving me some longer stretches, but I always have to get up to put the pacifier in…darned pacifier, but I love that pacifier too…love/hate relationship. So, with the longer stretches of sleep…it makes me start jonesin for Mr. Pump…ten plus hours is going to be really bad…but totally worth it for the sleep. We put up a black sheet in his room to help with the sleep…not sure if it is helping and it looks trashy…so did the aluminum foil we put up with Judah…but I don’t care. He still sleeps every night and all naps in the Woombie (still need to get a picture)…and we just realized that I left it at my parents’ house. Now, of course, I have a back-up Woombie, but it is the big baby one…and Sammy is a small baby still…we’ll see how the night goes…might be making the drive in the middle of the night for that Woombie! He is talking more and more, which I love hearing. He smiles a lot, but is a serious little guy most of the time (again, reminds me of Hubey…definitely not Judah who we nicknamed Jolly Judah because he would have a permasmile). However, he does love to see me each time I get him from his crib…oh the big smiles and the wild kicking…melt my heart. He tried formula for the first time this week and was not having it – he seems to have no problem with the bottle, so it must have been the formula…well, my friend, you better like it because the mommy milk train will end. I decided that he goes into a mini nursing strike after he gets bottle – like he is saying, “Seriously woman – I remember that wonderful bottle and now you want me back on your boob…no way.” We work it out. I have tried nursing without my “brest friend” a few times and I think to myself, “Shoot, it sure would be nice if a shelf would come out of my belly so that baby could lay on it.”…oh, and then I remember my “brest friend” and bust that bad boy back on…baby steps. Sam's hair is super jacky right now - real bad, but is starting to grow back on top. He still doesn't love tummy time - will normally roll over or start crying...flat head city for this boy (I hope not!). He is such a sweet boy...so sweet. Overall, another great week!
So, I just need to remind myself to have no stress over Sammy’s size…he looks good and he looks bigger…because you know what, he is bigger! Honestly, if Sam was sleeping through the night, I think I would freeze time right now…I love this baby stage – it is hard, but it so sweet and so short. I cannot think of a better gift to have been given this year for Mother’s Day (and Jake couldn’t either)!

1 comment:

Amy said...

You are doing a great job! Keep up with the breast feeding, you can do it! The last picture looks like he is getting very light blond hair! You never know, he could look just like his Uncle Troy as a baby :).