Monday, February 25, 2013

My Parrot




Fifty weeks…fifty weeks!  In less than two weeks, we will have a one year-old in this house!  Sammy is still such a baby to me though…not in all ways, but in a lot of ways…so, I still have my baby and I am good with that…I am in no hurry this time around.  He has especially reminded me of a baby this week – lots of waking up at night…and yes, we feed him.  We tell ourselves it is growth spurt…whatever.  I won’t be feeding a child forever in the night…although; it feels like that at times.  I just can’t figure this one out…I guess he just likes company at night.  And to be honest, Jake has been the one getting up with him at night – wonderful husband…and Sam’s total bestie…I tell Jake that he is a drug for Sam.  Oh.my.word…that little boy LOVES his Daddy.  When Jake walks through the door after work, it is the best part of the day for Sam – his world is complete.  It makes me so excited to see their relationship grow as Sam gets older – all of the boys…they adore Daddy.  And Jake is an amazing Dad.  I am a lucky lady – four amazing men in my life!


So, what did week fifty bring for Sammy?  Well, he has started to stand on his own – it has only happened three times, but that is three times more than it happened the week before.  I like to make a big deal of it…and then he normally falls…poor buddy.  So, maybe…just maybe there is walking on the horizon…I am still putting my money on fourteen plus months, but maybe he’ll surprise me.  He is doing a lot more cruising now.  Funny story…so, we are at the zoo and holding him is not an option if he has any opportunity to get down (this is where Jake starts shuddering at the thought that I would actually put our non-walking son down at the zoo…the zoo (like the dirtiest place in the world in Jake’s mind)…shh, don’t tell Jake about letting Sam down at the play places at McD’s…I would NEVER do that)…so, he was cruising along the bench and he is getting fast…so, before I can stop him, he grabs at something that is sticking out of some lady’s pants…pretty sure it was her underwear…it was awesome.  Glad she is cool about it. We have started the transition to whole milk…yippy!  That’s right…I said yippy!  And, he is doing great – actually think he might even like it…awesome.  Now, I am not saying he is turning into this cow loving, milk dreaming boy…but he is drinking it, and that is fantastic!  Of course, we are still warming it…Sam likes his milk warm – probably doesn’t even mind it hot.  So, cold milk would be a betrayal.  Hopefully, we’ll get him there at some point…makes things so much easier.  Sadly, with the milk transition, he immediately got all congested – I hate that about dairy, but I know his body will adjust and I just think the milk is too important to pass on…but I do hate the congestion.  He seems to be getting burned out on his eating…snubbing blueberries and hotdogs…two of his fave items.  He still will not really eat anything at breakfast and he doesn’t drink milk in the morning that often – there is no convincing this baby that breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  I just can’t find anything he likes.  Oh, well. 
  

Hopefully, this milk transition will go fantastic-ly well and he’ll start drinking a big bottle of milk.  Oh, yeah – we are not even considering cutting the bottle – that would just be crazy talk.  Why all the changes at one year old?  Is there a magic switch in a child when he or she turns one and everything changes?  That is just crazy talk – the bottle works…no hurry here.  Now, I am not judging anyone who chooses to do that…just doesn’t work for us.  He also now really enjoys dropping food off of his tray during meals…not my first rodeo my friend.  This little boy is busy, busy, busy – like seriously, non-stop.  He gets into EVERYTHING.  The toilet is for sure his favorite hang-out spot…nasty.  He also LOVES to unroll the toilet paper roll…like he can do it in less than five seconds – it is a gift.  The other day he opened our filing cabinet and started pulling out every file he could…as fast as he could.  Oh, child…you will keep me on toes.  Learning again this week that Sam and Judah will eventually battle it out – you should see this baby hold onto to things when Judah comes to takes it…oh wow, not messing around.  I am sure looking forward to the constant fighting in my house in about six months…should be awesome.  My favorite thing about Sam lately (except my nightly cuddles…still nothing better than that) is he is a total parrot.  Seriously, this kid likes to mimic every sound we make – I love it.  To get him to laugh the other night, I was snorting at him (yes, I will pretty much do anything to get my kids to laugh…I do some crazy things…there is no shame in this house) and he totally starting snorting too…I know, I am so mature…but I love that he mimics.  I told Jake we should get a cage for our parrot…I wasn’t joking…sure would make my life easier at dinner time.  I love this sweet boy – he makes our days more fun…and definitely crazier…wouldn’t have it any other way!


Love this boy!  Love this crazy stage in my life…now, I don’t love every day…you know, the days when your husband is traveling and you are climbing to the top of a play place not once, but twice to retrieve a screaming child because he is stuck…oh, the joy.  I am thankful for these crazy days…I can look back and laugh (while drinking a glass of wine).  Thankful God always gives me the grace to sustain me…and thankful His mercies are new every morning!


No comments: