Sunday, August 17, 2014

Holiday, Celebrate!


Crazy that it has been two weeks since my last post and Max is now thirty-nine weeks! I will do a look back over the last two weeks...we all knew I would NOT be posting on vacation (come on, this is my fourth kid...give me a break already). Hard to believe that two weeks ago I was dreading Jake being out of town for a week and just hoping to survive to be able to make it to the beach holiday! Well, I did survive that single parenting week by God's sweet grace (honestly, those weeks get easier and easier...ONLY by God's sweet grace) and now, vacation is over (I could actually start crying...we totally get why Europeans go on two week holidays!). Our holiday (yep, I say holiday now because I am super Euro) in the French Riveria (we so fancy) was AH-MAZING!!! We had the best time. The drives to and from were quite painful (PAINFUL)...the traffic was unreal - worst traffic we have ever seen in our lives...but such is life and we chalk it all up to being able to take the holiday. Overall, Max did quite well. And, I became that mom that unbuckles her baby from the car seat on the motorway to feed him...while Jake was driving (we were barely moving...didn't seem all that dangerous)...and yes, I did this on the drives to and from...yes.I.did. Sad that our holiday is done, but darn glad those drives are done as well. I would say Max enjoyed himself on his first trip to France...quite the world traveler!

 

So, what did week thirty-eight and thirty-nine bring for Maxime? Well, it was a week away from Daddy and then a week with Daddy (thankfully, we all survived and Max slept at night...that is key to me surviving a solo parenting week...babes that sleep). And, Maxime said his first word...Dada. Dada...of course. And, I  actually think he knows what he is saying...another Team Jake member. But, I really don't know if I would say Team Jake...yet. I am sure he will get there for sure, but Maxie has A LOT of love for Mama. So, I will let Jake steal this joy from me and I won't be bitter...not one bit. Max is still sitting up well and I have no problem leaving him. He will scoot himself backwards on his tummy, but still shows no interest in crawling. I almost thought he was thinking about pulling himself up the other day, but he wasn't...all in good time. I was very thankful he wasn't mobile for this vacation - it was nice to just sit with him in the sand versus him trying to crawl everywhere. He was so content to just sit and watch all the action. He loves sand and he loved being in the water. He has to brace himself for the cold water, but he rarely cries in it and he actually fell asleep while Jake was holding him in the waves...sadly, a big wave came up and rudely awoke him...poor baby. He did great on our beach days and pool nights. Always smiling and having a good time. He did great on our trip to the aquarium...and, I even nursed him in the middle of absolute chaos in the aquarium with no cover (I am SO Euro...crazy.). He isn't a huge fan of the nursing cover and sometimes, you just got to feed a hungry baby. And, of course there was no cover with all the nursing on the beach...but there are boobies out everywhere on the beach...no one was noticing me. Honestly, people are totally immune to it here and it is nice.

 

 He seems to be slowing his love of food a bit...he still eats a lot, but is not the bottomless pit he once was...he gets burned out. He is still nursing when he feels like it. And, I do not believe I have any supply issue so it works out. I was worried Max was going to sleep like junk on vacation since it comes with the territory when you go on vacation with your kids, but for the most part he slept great, which was awesome. And, we only napped him once a day which is always his preference anyway so it was a win win for all. He seems to be stretching his awake time during the day...honestly, I'll be ready for him to be on one nap a day...one VERY long, afternoon nap a day; however, he just can't last until the afternoon...not a chance...so, we push on with the decent morning nap and junky afternoon nap...we will all survive.  He had lots of fun in the pool, even though, he was freezing a lot of the time. Max is still very loud and lets you know when he wants to be heard - I just pray I don't have another screamer (Sam is a horrible screamer)...I CANNOT handle another screamer! Max is still pulling hair and loves to rip out Jake's chest hair...and Jake's loves it as well.  He likes to shake his head no and throw himself around like a silly boy...he makes me smile. Honestly, Max is sweet about ninety-eight percent of the time...he has smiles ALL the time and he loves, loves, loves to cuddle and just be sweet. Love this little boy SO much!!!




 

And, our summer is winding down...I cannot believe Hugh has only one more week of summer holiday! This summer flew by and I wish he didn't have to go back. I LOVE having him home...school cramps our style. It has been a great summer...and honestly, I am thankful we were Switzerland for it. Summers in Switzerland are about a thousand times better than summers in Arizona (except we miss our families very much!)...it has been so nice to play outside, be able to go to a beach, ride trains, and sometimes throw on a jacket because you are cold in the summer!  So nice.  I am so thankful my boys are experiencing all of this.  I am thankful God has tempered my heart over this summer and is truly teaching me to relax and enjoy this time.  It has been a great summer...one I will remember for years to come.  It is also very hard to believe that we celebrated one year of living abroad this past week...seriously, time goes by so fast...it is crazy.  Now, back to reality...meal prepping, cleaning house, and the list goes on...but such is life so I better do it all with a smile.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I can't believe it's been a year already. I guess I thought it was a little less than a year. That's amazing. I'm sure your family is growing stronger and closer together being so far away. We love you and miss you guys!!! Love, Evy

Amy Gerak said...

So much fun!! So glad you had such a great time; totally feel your pain on traffic and long drives with small kiddos. But, you made it--- yeah! So glad you have had a great summer together. Love you much, Amy :)